dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 week old backcombed dreads

ksreal
@ksreal
9 years ago
6 posts
Hi all!

I have had my dreads in for 2 weeks now. I use the back home method with the help of my wife and I just finish reading the "dreaducation" section of the website and I find myself experiencing a lot of the negative effects of backcombing.

my question really is what should I do in the early stages of this process? I struggle badly with dandruff, thank you to soaring eagle for immediately suggesting some things to help with that. however, I understand that leaving my dreadlocks unwashed for as long as possible at this point is most helpful, that is very difficult for me to do with my dandruff issue. In the first two weeks I've washed my hair twice and have had to pretty much do the whole top part of my head over. The back of my head it's coming along pretty nicely but the top is still fluffy and has the Sideshow Bob look.

I finally found something to help manage my itchyness / dandruff (viniger/ tea tree oil solution. Will try bar soap recommended) so I believe I can go longer without washing my hair while it locks up. But I am also very active and sweat a lot as I work out 4 to 5 times a week. Any tips or tricks are appreciated but I'm just trying to find out what the best thing to do at this point is.

Thanks
updated by @ksreal: 02/05/15 11:17:24PM
ksreal
@ksreal
9 years ago
6 posts

by the way I use the back home method as mentioned before, with no products at all. I occasionally palm roll with a hundred percent aloe vera gel to help tidy them up but I don't do that too frequently. If that is something that's recommended or not, that would be helpful to get advice on as well. along with any other tips to help keep them tidy as I work in sales and my presentation is important. I do very well and have seniority which is why I'm able to get away with the Sideshow Bob look but I don't want to test it for too long.

my finished length of my locks are about 6 inches didn't lose much length in the process

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

actualy the more you wash the better wash at least weekly 2-3 times a weeks best

oh since they are weeks old get the liquid too

the liquid will dry them oiut so they dread faster

the bars moisturize more

switch off depending on desirted results more dreading less itching

dont redo them ever if they fall out so be it they will dread back up on thier ownj

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ksreal
@ksreal
9 years ago
6 posts

I'm voice typing.... I know it is BACK COMB lol. It keeps hearing me wrong ha

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

dont palm roll! and aloe might tidy them for a day but slows or reverses progress  because it conditions

use a loose headband or a tam

but let them be loose as soon as u get off work

--
ksreal
@ksreal
9 years ago
6 posts

Got it! The sides of my head (first dread above my side burns on both sides) get loose frequently, and are loose most of the time. They don't feel like the backcomb is sticking too well, as it just appears to be a sectioned part of hair. should I try to twist and rip or should I let them be?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

all around the hairline especialy around the ears will be the last to dread

--
ksreal
@ksreal
9 years ago
6 posts

Also, I sleep with my head tied up in a head scarf to keep it tidy for the morning. That cool?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

again can slow progress  tidy isnt alowing it to get mnessy and knotty   the more it moves around the more its going to knot up  its going to have loose hairs its going to get loopy and wild  tidy is clean and if it looks wild tied back or loosely covered

a scarf or tam  a wide loose headband..only as long as needed then let them be free  the sooner they get messy the sooner they dread and mature  but that takes time

--
Th☮r Carlt☮n
@thr-carltn
9 years ago
5 posts

Washing them will loosen them up at first but I don't really think it's anything to worry about. I notice that after I wash my dreads I'll have a lot of loose hairs,  but the dreads themselves just feel better and tighter and I can see the improvement made since the last wash.

Basically, they're gonna loosen up, but you've already got the dreads formed so all you need to do is wash them and let them do the rest of the work. In time you'll notice the changes and it is really awesome to notice the changes day to day. One day my dreads will look like a mess with fuzzy loose hairs and the next they'll look amazing. You've just gotta go with the flow

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form