Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

To wash, or not!

Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts
Hey dreadies, I noticed we all have different maintenance methods, how often to wash, what we wash with, how we maintain or not.So I'll share my ways...Dr. Bronner's lavender, tea tree or eucalyptus - I wash once a week or once every couple of weeks.Tea Tree/Lavender and water spray bottle - I spray my hair every day - keeps them clean, dready and is great aromatherapy for waking up!I don't twist or roll them at all, I pull them apart once a month or once every two months...Though, I often find ones stuck together that are irreversible, but they do what they do.Basically, I try to keep my hair as low maintenance as possible.
updated by @earth-rose: 01/13/15 10:04:27PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

its definately good to wash often and seperate often enough other then that u should do nothing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Claire3
@claire3
10 years ago
36 posts

I only have little dreadlings at this point, but I have been using Vicki's Locking Up shampoo (nagchampa). I wash 2-3x/week. I am a vet tech at the local humane society, so depending on what happens in my day, I feel the need to wash my entire self, ha.

Sarahface
@sarah16
10 years ago
108 posts

I'd love to try the tea tree/lavender mixture sometime, I want my dreads to smell nice ^_^ Thanks for the tip

Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts
When my dreads were young I washed them very frequently! They take so long to dry out now, and spraying them with tea tree/lavender (antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiseptic, antiviral, balsamic, cicatrisant, expectorant, fungicide, insecticide, stimulant and sudorific substance) keeps them fresh and clean!

Claire said:

I only have little dreadlings at this point, but I have been using Vicki's Locking Up shampoo (nagchampa). I wash 2-3x/week. I am a vet tech at the local humane society, so depending on what happens in my day, I feel the need to wash my entire self, ha.

Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts
For my hair, what I do is perfect. My hair is NEVER dirty, and sometimes stuck together, but that's the nature of it, so I let it do as it pleases.

soaring eagle said:

its definately good to wash often and seperate often enough other then that u should do nothing

Cody Harder
@cody-harder
10 years ago
30 posts

Props to you, Rose, for suggesting the tea-tree hair spritz. I've been using it, especially after a couple days of not washing it really helps with keeping my scalp happy and thus I can extend my between-wash time if I want to. It also smells great! My personal essential oil blend (mixed 1:10 with water) is like 83% tea tree oil and the remainder a blend of lavender and cedarwood. Smells delicious =) Next time I will try a bit o' patchouli with the tea tree.

I also have newbie dreadlings. I just switched from Bronners, actually, cuz I found it was leaving a tacky residue in my hair (I even used it as my only soap for the past 5 years, didn't even consider it until I found this site). So now I've been doing BS washes with "VERY" light acv rinse. Fortunately, the Bronners residue was very light, and seems to be entirely gone after a couple BS washes. I will switch to Vicki's just 4 dreads liquid soon, but i loove the BS wash with some essential oils, let that soak for a few minutes mmmmmm ;)

Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts
I make a sugar scrub for my scalp every once in awhile to get any residues off, it's so refreshing and stimulates hair growth!I do large, raw sugar crystals, coconut oil and essential oils!

Cody Harder said:

Props to you, Rose, for suggesting the tea-tree hair spritz. I've been using it, especially after a couple days of not washing it really helps with keeping my scalp happy and thus I can extend my between-wash time if I want to. It also smells great! My personal essential oil blend (mixed 1:10 with water) is like 83% tea tree oil and the remainder a blend of lavender and cedarwood. Smells delicious =) Next time I will try a bit o' patchouli with the tea tree.

I also have newbie dreadlings. I just switched from Bronners, actually, cuz I found it was leaving a tacky residue in my hair (I even used it as my only soap for the past 5 years, didn't even consider it until I found this site). So now I've been doing BS washes with "VERY" light acv rinse. Fortunately, the Bronners residue was very light, and seems to be entirely gone after a couple BS washes. I will switch to Vicki's just 4 dreads liquid soon, but i loove the BS wash with some essential oils, let that soak for a few minutes mmmmmm ;)

Cody Harder
@cody-harder
10 years ago
30 posts

Sugar scrub, eh? Never heard o' that, sounds weird/interesting. Where'd you pick that up?

Earth Rose said:

I make a sugar scrub for my scalp every once in awhile to get any residues off, it's so refreshing and stimulates hair growth!

I do large, raw sugar crystals, coconut oil and essential oils!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form