Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

sewing...?

Allison Ruthless
@allison-ruthless
11 years ago
19 posts

I was just doing my semi regular sewing session, that is, where I sew up the random dreads that are barely clinging to my head and are threatening to break off (blame my compulsive twisting, and please spare the lecture, I know it's terrible I just can't stop, so unless you have a suggestion on how to keep my bored, fidgety hands out of my head then just ignore that part :x) so I was wondering... does anyone else do this? Or do you just let them break off? It makes me sad to lose my ends, I used to have blonde tips but they're almost all gone from breakage, and I've come a long way to get my length (I started with those obnoxious 3-4 inch long sticking-up-straight type dreadies 4 years ago) so i'd rather throw a few stitches in the weak ones than lose them. Also not gonna lie, I have totally reattached one that fell off before I could get to it O_o. Soooo, am I alone on this one??

updated by @allison-ruthless: 01/13/15 09:59:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i would really recomend you stop sewing them

wear a crystal around your neck..a real one amythest or quartz maybe a natural one not cut or overly polished ..one around finger width

twist that instead

you could also after youve weened yourself off twisting the dreads to death add a medicine bag around your neck. put in it some fresh herbs and stuff that have a slight unpleasant scent (not enough to bother anyone near u just enough to rub off on your fingers till you dont like having them near your face)

but yea u gotta stop the sewing and the twisting

i9n fact..losing dreads maybe an incentive to stop

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

My good friend Jojo Did what you are doing.. She no longer has dreads. Took/fell out, they were soo damaged..

Allison Ruthless
@allison-ruthless
11 years ago
19 posts

Yeahhh I hate to play devil's advocate but, nothing bad has happened as a result of sewing... and I'm not a fan of losing dreadies. I did just get these two cute little magnetized hrmatite hearts (first step in replacing my stolen collection yay) that are really fun to play with constantly, soooo here's to hoping they'll help e keep my damn hands out of my hair. :)

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
Well, if you want to quit twisting, maybe try a hobby that has you using your hands? Something like crochet or knitting is very hands on and portable, so you could keep it with you. Or maybe a stress ball or small trinket like you mentioned the hearts are like. Best of luck!
Allison Ruthless
@allison-ruthless
9 years ago
19 posts

SE, I just reread this old post and had to drag it back up for an update... Ugh you were so right!! All that twisting eventually made every one of my sewn ends break off again except one. No damage... But also no ultimate gain. I've worked really hard to stop twisting and I suppose I'm doing alright. My locs have thickened up a bunch since I started really trying to stop that shit. I bought my first crochet hook to tighten when I locked my bangs almost a year ago and got badly addicted to that for a month or two, did a lot of damage and ended up with more loose hair than before from breakage while crocheting that eventually fell out at the roots... So no more hook for maintenance. I'm trying to cut out all maintenance except a little root rubbing when I have to, and separating when needed (BUT I let them do their thing way more so now than before and I have some sweet congos now!!) - the bright side is that I learned to use the hook to reattach the ones that were still falling off, and besides the first experimental one, none of them have thinned out or broken again. I only have maybe two or three that are threatening to break now so hopefully once those come off, if I can keep up with the non twisting, I won't be having that issue anymore. All in all I've lost at least six inches of length from twisting breakage and all my original locs are gone... But these days my head is a lot healthier so I'm hoping that's a thing of the past!! Alright I'm done, just wanted to give a quick (lol) follow up. Thanks for the advice, wish I took it sooner. Peace!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

id stop the root rubbing too stop everythijng but separating the root rubbing can actualy pull 1/2 yoir hair rigfht out of the scalp

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse the crochet was the worse

really if u just wash and separate and thats it you will never bbe happier

--
Dislike 0

Tags