Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Ratios: Baking soda wash Apple cider vinegar rinse Sea salt mix

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Looking for the perfect baking soda (BS) ratio and apple cider vinegar (ACV) ratio? How about the home made recipe for dread accelerator using sea salt...Then this post is for you. Ratios and how to use them.

Baking Soda wash, (also called Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate Soda)

• Mix 1/2 cup of BS with 5 cups water. Wet your head first and then pour this mixture onto it. Let it set for 10-20 minutes on the scalp to exfoliate it. There is no need to scrub, does it all by itself. Just go about washing the rest of your body, shaving your legs, or guys...whatever else it is you do in the shower. Okay, so now the time is up....rinse this out well.

Now you will follow this with an ACV rinse. It will balance back the PH levels on your scalp and hair. Any brand will be fine

• Mix 1-2 cap fulls (the bottle cap) of ACV to 5 cups of water, pour over head and rinse out within one minute. Any longer an you can over condition your dreads. This is a fantastic conditioner for dreadlocks.

***NEVER MIX BAKING SODA AND APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TOGETHER or you will get a chemical reaction**** It can damage your dreads and burn your scalp.

***If you have a slightly oily scalp, a normal scalp or dry scalp, then follow up with the ACV rinse or you will dry out / fry out your dreads over time by using the baking soda wash only***

For hard water, the baking soda does not dissolve completely nor react the same with the water, so you can do one of two things:

• boil your water first, let it settle down so the sediments settle to the bottom of the pot and gently pour out your 5 cups of water to mix the BS with
  • or purchase a large jug of water from the store, I use a water cooler size jug, last forever!

Conversion Table:

1/2 cup = .24 liters = 118 ml

5 cups = 1.18 liters

1 cap full = 1 teaspoon = 5mll

3 1/2 tablespoons = 1.5 ounces

Mix your own SEA SALT SPRAY OR SOAK. You can purchase sea salt from drug stores, fish aquarium stores, bulk food stores and health food stores. Whether you put it in a spray bottle, or pour the entire contents onto your dreads (wet the hair first if pouring it on, it absorbs it better). This is a locking accelerator, great to use to help your hair /dreads start to knot up.

• Sea Salt ratio: Mix 3 1/2 tablespoons of sea salt to 5 cups water and mix well to dissolve.

***Never leave this on for longer than two hours or it will dry out your hair, rinse it out well***

**finish off you shower with a cold head rinse, as cold as your head can take. It not only feels very refreshing, but it closes the pores, and relieves & prevents scalp itch**

updated by @the-barrellady: 02/14/15 01:01:29PM
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Just a quick question about the sea salt mix... if you are using pink himilayan sea salt, are the ratios the same and does the 2 hour rule still apply?

This is a great post by the way =]

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

If you are mixing your own, then yes, still rinse out by the two hour mark. That sea salt is the best in the world, so good for you.

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

Thankyou

SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
11 years ago
58 posts
I have pink salt and Its from the Himalayas but I've not heard of the Himalayan sea. Is it somewhere in the mountains? Lol now to the real question: does saltwater keep indefinitely? Or should it be made in small batches?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

SimpleSpivies, this is by far the purest salt available on earth and is absolutely uncontaminated with any toxins or pollutants.Himalayan salt is mined in the Khewra Salt Mines, the second largest salt mine in the world, located in Khewra, Jhelum District, Punjab, Pakistan, about 300 km from the Himalayas, about 160 kilometres from Islamabad, and 260 kilometres from Lahore, and in the foothills of the Salt Range.

Why mix it in huge batches though and then store it? Easier to store the sea salt/ Himalayan salt in a sealed jar to keep out moisture. Then just mix a batch when needed. If you don't use up your entire mixture, no problem, it keeps, just give it a good shake first the next time you go to use it.....Peace

Good question!

SimpleSpiveys
@simplespiveys
11 years ago
58 posts
Wow, thanks for the info. I knew it didn't come from a body of water, I was making a joke about someone calling it Himalayan sea salt. I'm off to make some accelerator now !
Antonio Llamar
@antonio-llamar
11 years ago
27 posts

so after you wash with the BS.. rinse and then use ACV? since you said not to mix ?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

That's righ Antonio, Wash with the BS, rinse well, Then use the ACV, and rinse . Mixing them together at once causes damage to the scalp, you can burn it. Using them one at a time is safe and healthy for dreads and scalp. I did this for my entire first year of dreading, now do it once a month to exfoliate my scalp...peace

Antonio Llamar said:

so after you wash with the BS.. rinse and then use ACV? since you said not to mix ?

David13
@david13
11 years ago
3 posts

this is so awesome :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form