Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Moving up from tams! This is what crochet is REALLY about.

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I've been working on this for a while, and though it's still not done I thought I'd show off a bit and get some feedback on my first extended project (aka the first project that I can't complete in just a few hours lol). The side on the bottom of the picture is the length side, the width side running parallel to the couch. These are granny squares that are being crocheted with acrylic yarn and a size I/9-5.50MM hook. All squares are being joined as I work them. Rainbow crochet blanket
updated by @faelwynn: 02/14/15 08:49:31AM
Dividing by Zero
@dividing-by-zero
14 years ago
7 posts
nice
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Great job! I am an avid knitter and I recently got into crochet to do tams. I really like your design here, the color placement is fabulous!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Thanks! The original inspiration was from a quilt design with the same pattern, but with many many more colors. I was looking for something to use that variegated rainbow yarn in, and this seems to be working really well! I always loved the random, almost tie-dyed looking pattern that it produces, but it's too overwhelming and random to be used by it's self. I find that it compliments and pulls other colors together really nicely though! Panterra Caraway said:
Great job! I am an avid knitter and I recently got into crochet to do tams. I really like your design here, the color placement is fabulous!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
That's really simple! I've made a few like that myself!It's this pattern http://purplesagedesignz.blogspot.com/2007/11/free-hippie-tam-pattern-and-how-custom.html for the body ( dc ch1 dc ch1 ect) and for the base, you simply make a chain for the distance around your head (as mentioned here: http://myindigodreams.livejournal.com/313210.html you can use her pattern if you want, but I wanted a closer stitch, so I used the one from the tam pattern instead) and join it , making sure not to twist it then go over that chain with a row of single crochets before starting the body pattern.Sounds a bit complicated, but it's really simple once you start working it! Maxe said:
Nice colors!

If you got any pattern for a dread band like this http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.110836743.jpg feel free to throw it on somewhere here =)
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
wow yeah thats an awesome grannie blanket! seriously bad ass!
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I've always wanted to learn how to quilt, but never had anyone to teach me. My crochet skills were passed down to me by my beloved grandmother, who passed last december... when she passed, and my family asked me what I would like from her house, the only thing of any value that I could think of (aside from a number of pictures of she, my grandfather and I) were her afghans. All save for the one that she passed away under. I can remember her making a few of them, and spent my childhood nestled under them. Sadly, I'm no good with larger works (she was a master at the ripple afghan, so I believe most if not all of them are ripples... but it's one that I can't seem to master myself) but am very good with smaller works (so that I can just do a part and set it down if need be...also, I have a short attention span and bore easily xP) so a granny square afghan would be perfect. I figure, it's about time I quit messing around and start creating things to leave for my family, just like she did.The pattern will just continue as it has. On top of each color is the color that falls after it, until we hit purple which is always followed by the rainbow thread. So in short, yes, the pattern will just continue! Roxanne Berg said:
Very cool; will you be doing a mirror image on the next half (with the variegated) or a repeat of this pattern? I don't crochet (I quilt) and am always blown away by the cool stuff crocheters make!
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
Faelwynn, your GSB is lovely :-) Have you tried making headbands out of granny squares? Looks great, I think, you can see one of mine

here :-) I also just did a tam with brim for my friend made out of granny squares - you can see the original pattern here , I just made the edge under the squares longer, as she has really long dreads.
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
I've tried to make the image above smaller, but I just can't get it to work. Actually just wanted to put in a link to it, but I must be doing something wrong, sorry :-/

Sissemor said:
Faelwynn, your GSB is lovely :-) Have you tried making headbands out of granny squares? Looks great, I think, you can see one of mine

here :-) I also just did a tam with brim for my friend made out of granny squares - you can see the original pattern here , I just made the edge under the squares longer, as she has really long dreads.
Sissemor
@sissemor
14 years ago
54 posts
OMG and now I just posted it twice by quoting :-O nice one...
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form