Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Pretty junk to stick on my dreadies (plus share the stories about yours)

HealingAmungTheTrees
@healingamungthetrees
15 years ago
93 posts
I was going to title this post "Pretty crap to stick on my dreadies" but I figured I would not like the replies I got ;)I really would like some things to decorate with. I love seeing dreaded folks with little bits of color and texture added into their dreads. My babies are not quite ready for it yet but soon they will be.So to those here who have beads or other fun bits and peices on or woven in/on their dreads where do you get them? Do you only use things that are meaningful to you or do you just do/buy things you like? Etsy has tons of stuff but it is all so expensive and somehow it seems impersonal. Know what I mean?I would also love to hear any stories you might have about the little things you may have decorated your dreads with so please share.
updated by @healingamungthetrees: 02/14/15 07:38:55AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
now i have only 1 simple wood bead but over the years well i had all sorts of junkalmost everything that was in my hair fell into 3 catagories.. gifts . things i got a trade circle.. and found items1st was a few unuique beads i started my 1st dreaeds with, got at trade ciecle in vermontthey were metal, 1 was sharks swimming around the dread 1was whales and 2 were bats with theyree wings wrapped aroundthen came a dozen hair wraps..i think i got them at the next gathering i went to, also at trade circlethen i found a brass bell so that went innow that i jingled everywhere i went i wanted it more melodic spo i got 1 of those fairy ball things that i havent seen in years (a metal ball that jingles when it moves)so now im all jingly and colorful i added peyote stitches and beads that came from all overafter new mexico i accidently wandered up through oregon where i met alotta glass bloweres and had maybe 40 hand blown glass pipes, mostly chillums2 of my least fave chillums ended up in dreads as glass beads (racing a skategoarder down a mountain with fingers smoking trying to steer i hit a curb and smashed 1 into my eyebrow so dont recomend glass beads)eventualy over the years they all fell out except 1 peyote stitch which i gave to a dear freind the day she started to dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
15 years ago
80 posts
Photobucket i wrapped mine with a lot of hemp and twine, i have 2 wraps still in, one with embroidery thread as well!! all that you have to do is knot it and the base and just keep wrapping it around your dread and tie it at the end.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
be you tee fulllbuttheres a better waythats known as speed wraps and are fairly temporary they kindsa unravel and fall apart eventualyits slower biut fancier and lasts much longerits a macreme knotworkcreates spirals alternating coplors and fancy lil enhancments to the plsain ol wrapsthe knotwork makes em last far longer ..instead of months, maybe a year they can last a few years

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
ooh I do all sorts of things with macrame! I'll have to look into putting something like that in my dreads! soaringeagle said:
be you tee fulll

but

theres a better way
thats known as speed wraps and are fairly temporary they kindsa unravel and fall apart eventualy

its slower biut fancier and lasts much longer
its a macreme knotwork
creates spirals alternating coplors and fancy lil enhancments to the plsain ol wraps
the knotwork makes em last far longer ..instead of months, maybe a year they can last a few years
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
15 years ago
80 posts
the wraps i did, did stay in, put i had just decided to take them out. the ones i still have in have been in for maybe 6 months so far, and are holding up well! Electric Mama said:
Photobucket
i wrapped mine with a lot of hemp and twine, i have 2 wraps still in, one with embroidery thread as well!! all that you have to do is knot it and the base and just keep wrapping it around your dread and tie it at the end.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
the knotted embriodery thread ones lasted 4-5 years the knotted hemp probly 10

--
Charleigh Graham
@charleigh-graham
15 years ago
18 posts
i make dread cuffs and sell them for $5-15 bucks, electic mama has one of mine in her lovely locks if you look, its the massive colorful bit :D tehe i take custom orders too so dont be shy if you like my shizzat
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ohhh you made that???????????i love that Charleigh Graham said:
i make dread cuffs and sell them for $5-15 bucks, electic mama has one of mine in her lovely locks if you look, its the massive colorful bit :D tehe i take custom orders too so dont be shy if you like my shizzat

--
Electric Mama
@electric-mama
15 years ago
80 posts
i love all of charleighs dread cuffs!!!!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form