Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dreadlock extensions?

Rain Irene Ruiz
@rain-irene-ruiz
11 years ago
1 posts

hey !! so i've had my new set of dreads for almost 2 months now and they are locking up pretty tighter than i expected. i'm hoping that by the 3rd month they'll be even tighter. but in the meantime, i was wondering if it's ok to get dreadlock extensions? my dreads are about shoulder length and i think they would be even better with extensions. i have never used extensions before, or at least dread extensions. so do you think it's a good idea to get them now ? or should i wait till my hair fully matures? thanks for the help :-)

updated by @rain-irene-ruiz: 02/14/15 02:25:57AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wouldnt at all for these reasons

1 they will always feel like ..not part of you disconnected

2 most who get em hate em and cut em off cause they just feel like dead weiggt

3 recently theres been many reports out of some countries of ppl being mugged..knocked unconsouse nearluy killed (fractured skull and all) just to have thier dreads shaved off and sold as black market extentions

now if your set on extentio s wait till they are well established typicaly 8 months so u have good dreads to anchor ion to

by the time u are able to attach them your real dreads have finished shrinking and will be growing soon so..whats the point

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well hi there. To start off, you can take a product called Biotin, 6000mcg strength to promote hair growth, results in 3 months. I can be found in the vitamin section of your local drug store for under $10.

What are you washing your hair with? You profile says you started dreadlocks in June 2012, but have not done any maintenance since May 18, 2013, what kind of maintenance have you been doing on your backcombed dreadlocks? Any products used?

Is this a second set you started only 2 months ago, if so, how did you do them? If they are 2 months old, they should not be tight yet, do you have a residue build up inside the dreads maybe? If you think so, use Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo to remove it, but only use this 3-4 times a year, strong stuff but works.

natural hair extensions are like buying Blood Diamonds. If you must use them. get hair from a friends haircut and make them from that. Someone else s hair has unknown bad Karma attached to it.

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

Dread extensions are a good decision if you want longer dreads. I extended my hair too, and i had around shoulder length hair like you. In that case, i would highly recommend you to buy real human hair extensions and dread it yourself - as soaring eagle says, it wont feel like your hair if you add on synthetic hair for example.

In my experience, if you choose real human hair, after the extensions have started to lock up together with your own hair, you cant tell the difference. Its real human hair, it will feel just like your own, and eventually, you will even forget you have extensions. Also, I didn't experience any added weight either, that was never a problem.

Extensions is also a great sulution when it comes to shrinking, If your hair is already pretty short, and you're afraid you will loose undesireable much length. As soaring eagle says, many cut off their extensions eventually, for example after the shrinking is over and your dreads have started to grow again and reached the desirable length.

And last but not least - the best time to add the extensions in (in my experience) is between the 2 and 4 months mark. If you wait much longer than 4-5 months, your dreads will probably be so tight that you will have a very hard time putting them in.

You've maybe noticed that extensions is rarely recommended, but i think thats probably becuase dreads are a natural thing, and you want as natural dreads as possible, but I don't think adding on real human hair is any less natural, it's simply for the aesthetic preference. I wouldnt add on synthetics tho, because, well - it's plastic hair, and it will feel more stiff, it will be more itchy, and feel very unatural.

it worked so well for me, and maybe it will for you too! I would definately try, and you could always removed them when you want. If you do, let me know how it turns out!

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

I have had a huge success with coloured sheeps wool and just added onto the ends for length and smtimes for thickness, if you use synthetc hair it really feels like you r wearing a plastic hat, but this way you can first felt up the dreads and then just add them, there is several ways of doing this and i can help you with step by step instructions, i can also help you get the right wool, it can be done in a way that you won't feel too hot. Also as my dreads grow i can eliminate the added on wool. Otherwise there is a place i know of where you can get human hair extension sent to you but it is very expensive. I even can send you a little coloured sheeps wool with some instuctions if you would just like to try first, message me if you r interested and it would be my pleasure to help you through this.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

More worryingly, back in 2006, the Observer reported that in India some husbands were forcing their wives into selling their hair, slum children were being tricked into having their heads shaved in exchange for toys, and in one case a gang stole a woman's hair, holding her down and cutting it off. When Victoria Beckham said in 2003 that her " extensions come from Russian prisoners, so I've got Russian cell block H on my head ", she may have been joking, but it was not long until the Moscow Centre for Prison Reform admitted it was possible: warders were forcibly shaving and selling the hair of prisoners. However, not all companies pay donors. In temples in south India devotees travel for hundreds of miles and queue for hours to have their hair tonsured, or ritually shaved. Some have prayed for a child, others for a sick relative or a good harvest, and when their prayers are answered they offer up their hair. According to one report , most are rural women whose hair has often never been dyed, blow-dried, or even cut and is worth around 200. The hair is then sorted and sold, often by online auction. Last year Tirumala temple, apparently made 2,000m rupees (more than 22m), from auctioning hair.

Would you have any idea where that hair came from? would you even care? Now...i actually feeldisgustedwhen i seeextensions .

Grow your own dreads. The beauty of dreads comes from patience and loss of vanity. It is a wonderful spiritual journey. Extensions are like cheating. It is not YOUR hair. In my opinion people who put extensions in their hair are as fake as the hair they attach. Or they are doing for fashion reasons...and will quickly change hair styles anyway. So it is human hair...that makes it natural? I strongly disagree.

I know that sounded rude...but I am not trying to be. I am just stating my opinion. I feel the same way about artificial nails and lashes. It isartificialno matter how someone tries to claim it is natural.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

"The fashion for such a long time has been about the glorification of artificiality. Fake tans, fake teeth, fake boobs and fake nails and you need fake hair to go with all that. The whole idea of beauty is [now] predicated on artificiality and getting rid of humanness waxing every hair from your body but putting fake hair on your head."

Daisy2
@daisy2
11 years ago
1 posts

If you want to extend them, extend them.

When i got my dreads i had to have them long enough to tie back neatly for my job, so i extended some of them with real human hair.

Despite what Soaring Eagle says about them never feeling like part of you, that's just how HE would feel about it, you are your own mind.

If you extend them and don't like them, you can always take them back out and carry on normaly.

I always planned to cut the extensions out of mine when they grew long enough, but when they had i found i was unwilling and kept putting it off and off, until i realised i can't remember which ones were extended anyway. I've chopped some of the very tips off, but i can't bring myself to cut them properly, it's been my hair for nearly 3years, it's part of me now, and just as much a part of my dreads.

=)

Taurus ♥ ♉
@taurus
11 years ago
2 posts

i got dreadlock extensions and have put dreadlock extensions in others the first day of doing the actual hair. in my opinion it's easier to crochet them in when your dreads aren't matured because that way they can lock up at the same pace and it's easier to crochet the hairs in. i'm actually planning on making a video on how to put them in because i've seen a lot of people ask.

what you have to do is get real human hair close to your color (you can get it on ebay for around $20 and up and make sure it's more than 120g) then when you get it it will be on a weft, o-rings, clip in wefts, whatever. it doesn't matter. just dread the hair then clip off whatever it's attatched to. then after they are dreads crochet them into your real hair and they'll stay put if you do a good job of dreading them into your real hair. :] if you have any other questions feel free to message me

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Taye- I think people eyes should be open to what goes on behind a product and the more it is told the better, well done and yes the beauty of dreads is the natural growth and care free lifestyle with our appearce, to me my dreadshave a symbolic meaning in a spirital way. I have heard and suggested sheeps wool to help out a poor dread or 2 and even told about human hair extensions, but had no idea of what lay behind the scenes, so Thank you for the elightenement, I shall sure have a "different" opinion with human hair extensions now.
You know the easy come easy go expression, well I have heard many a time of people that have had the extensions take them out again very soon after having them done. I did it myself with sythnthetic dreadlock extensions and it felt like wearing a plastic bag on my head, but they came out in a real hurry!! Now as you said " a year and a half" into my natural dreadlock journey and there is nothing that could convince me to take these ones out :)
taye said:

More worryingly, back in 2006, the Observer reported that in India some husbands were forcing their wives into selling their hair, slum children were being tricked into having their heads shaved in exchange for toys, and in one case a gang stole a woman's hair, holding her down and cutting it off. When Victoria Beckham said in 2003 that her " extensions come from Russian prisoners, so I've got Russian cell bl... ", she may have been joking, but it was not long until the Moscow Centre for Prison Reform admitted it was possible: warders were forcibly shaving and selling the hair of prisoners. However, not all companies pay donors. In temples in south India devotees travel for hundreds of miles and queue for hours to have their hair tonsured, or ritually shaved. Some have prayed for a child, others for a sick relative or a good harvest, and when their prayers are answered they offer up their hair. According to one report , most are rural women whose hair has often never been dyed, blow-dried, or even cut and is worth around 200. The hair is then sorted and sold, often by online auction. Last year Tirumala temple, apparently made 2,000m rupees (more than 22m), from auctioning hair.

Would you have any idea where that hair came from? would you even care? Now...i actually feeldisgustedwhen i seeextensions .

Grow your own dreads. The beauty of dreads comes from patience and loss of vanity. It is a wonderful spiritual journey. Extensions are like cheating. It is not YOUR hair. In my opinion people who put extensions in their hair are as fake as the hair they attach. Or they are doing for fashion reasons...and will quickly change hair styles anyway. So it is human hair...that makes it natural? I strongly disagree.

I know that sounded rude...but I am not trying to be. I am just stating my opinion. I feel the same way about artificial nails and lashes. It isartificialno matter how someone tries to claim it is natural.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form