Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sleeping and showering with beads in?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Hey guys, I just got some dread beads off Etsy and I was wondering about whether people wear theirs bed and in the shower? They were a bit of a pain to put in so I'd be reluctant to take them out and put them in every time I shower or wake up.
updated by @jayke-watson: 01/13/15 09:52:54PM
James Colby Justice
@james-colby-justice
11 years ago
75 posts

I've been wearing my beads for about six months straight now.

Light Faerie ~
@light-faerie
11 years ago
34 posts

I don't take off my beads when I go to bed. At first it was a bit uncomfortable if I had a lot, but you get used to it & the beads move around. I take off some beads before showing, just to get the water and soap really in the hair in order to wash it well.If you risk mistreatment of your hair in any way while taking off your beads, you can just move them around a little while showering, to save any breakage.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i dont take mine out till they fall out ..usualy 5 or more years

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Wow. I must be in the minority, then! lol I have a sensitive scalp and head, though.

I try to only go for flatter beads or soft wraps like embroidery thread. But even then I can't stand to sleep on mine. It just hurts. If I just really don't feel like taking them out then I'll flip my hair up above my pillow and sometimes that helps. But most of the time I get irritated with it in the middle of the night as I toss and turn and end up yanking them out and setting them on my nightstand.

I never shampoo my hair with them in. Ever. Even hair wraps or simple embroidery thread. I'm too paranoid about mildew and stuff like that.

Jayke, if they were a pain to get in then do you think perhaps the bead is of the wrong size for your locks or at least where on the locks you're trying to put them? Locks do get thicker with time.

I tend to put beads where I naturally have humps and bumps for them to 'hang' onto for support. Doesn't matter how teeny tiny the lock is down below that, if the bump is big enough for that bead to stay but then it's all good. I squish and twist the bump down and slowly shove the bead above it then let the squished bump go. I don't ever go up a thicker lock that I'll have to really yank on the bead hard to get it up where I want it to be. That's a clear indication of the hole being to small and the lock being too big.

Helio
@helio
3 years ago
1 posts

Hi! very old chat but .. so its okay me to wash my hair with beads on ???( Í have few that are plastic and few that are like jewelry metal beads from my bracelets XD ) They fit perfectly to my baby dreds. Obviously i´ll move them around while washing .. Have a nice weekend my blessed lock friends <3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form