Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where to get beads? What kind to get?

TieDyedSoul
@tiedyedsoul
11 years ago
70 posts

You can get packages of wooden, glass, and clay beads at Walmart, Hobby Loby, or Marshels. Any craft store usually has them. You can get creative and put whatever in your dreads. One of my friends had very thick dreads and he decided to put a whole necklace in one and a spoon that he bent and wrapped around a dread.

updated by @tiedyedsoul: 07/23/15 07:01:41PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi there Rose. Go to your local thrift store to look for items to use as beads. Check the kids department in the craft area for plastic, the adult craft area for wooden beads and the jewellery section for necklaces and earrings. You can find beautiful necklaces with some fantastic pieces on them, just take them apart and use the ones you like. A hand drill can enlarge holes for you.

Sarahface
@sarah16
11 years ago
108 posts

You can also make your own out of clay and have them look however you want. It's pretty cheap and easy.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I actually have one of those in my hair. A friend of mine gave it to me at the national gathering this past summer. :)

Amanda said:

They sell beautiful wooden beads at Joann Fabrics. You can get a pack of 60 size 9mm right now for $2.39 on the website. I got some in store a while back...they are lovely!

http://www.joann.com/darice-9mm-large-hole-printed-wood-barrel-bead...

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts
I bought a few glass pandora (I think that's what they're called) beads at michael's or Ben Franklin. They have metal in the hole, but after sliding them on and off a couple times the metal bits came out.
Anna3
@anna3
11 years ago
70 posts

Look in any craft store, they will have a lot of beads. I've found some of the ones they have for bracelets work the best, like the pandora beads. They have bigger holes.

Australe
@australe
11 years ago
60 posts

The way I see it.... I've got several beads in my hair, put them there not long after I started my dreadlocks and once my hair started locking up the only way these beads are coming out is if we break them. I'm personally glad I didn't go super cheap. $10 for a bead sounds like a lot, but when its going to be with you for as long as your dreads are with you is it really that much?
I got my glass from FlameTouchedGlass on Etsy, she had the most reasonably priced beads for the quality at the time I bought them. I see her prices have gone up a bit, but it costs a LOT of money to do some of this glass work.

Crystalyn
@crystalyn
11 years ago
38 posts

yeah that is ridiculos. i saw those wooden beads at the store for nothin for like a huge pack. i make hemp jewelry understand that u want to make money for your work, but all you did here was go to store and come home and mark up like a bunch. and thats not work.ppl real artists spend lots of time and energy making awesome handmade things and your just reselling something for more no artistic value added... so yeah. thats my two cents (for free ;)

Liz2
@liz2
11 years ago
4 posts

I just ordered some from lyndar85 about a week ago. I think it's a great value considering they're nice looking and you can get a good amount of them for the price. Tried looking in the Michael's here, but couldn't find any beads with big enough holes in them. They were all so tiny!Also ordered two nice ones from FlameTouched. They weren't as pricey as some of the other ones I saw on there.

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I hand make wooden beads, they take time, I make them with love and they are made for life, with the energy of nature still in tact. When I am finding wood and making the beads I am not thinking about making money that's for sure. Quite a different energy than repackaging. So when buying beads, please consider these things.

Crystalyn said:

yeah that is ridiculos. i saw those wooden beads at the store for nothin for like a huge pack. i make hemp jewelry understand that u want to make money for your work, but all you did here was go to store and come home and mark up like a bunch. and thats not work.ppl real artists spend lots of time and energy making awesome handmade things and your just reselling something for more no artistic value added... so yeah. thats my two cents (for free ;)

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form