Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Where to get beads? What kind to get?

Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

I've really been wanting some beads to put in my hair.

I don't knowexactlywhere to buy them around my city, so I've been looking on Etsy. Beads are expensive!

I want to know what kind of beads people recommend. Can I buy cheap plastic beads? Cause I could go to the dollar store right now and buy a pack of like 250 cheap plastic beads.

If not what should I buy? Where can I buy a few beads for an affordable price rather than one bead for $10 or more?

updated by @rose: 02/14/15 07:21:42AM
HayleyB124
@hayleyb124
12 years ago
58 posts
Have you tried doing a Google search for bead stores in your area?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

http://shops.dreadlockssite.com

but

u ca ln get cgheapo wood beads a bead is

something with a hole in it or

a hole with something wrapped around it

so

you can put a hole in something or

find a hole and put something around it

optionaly find something that already has a hoe

what kid\nd to get? the kind that fits

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

Good! I guess I'm going with the cheapo plastic ones from the dollar store then. They're just the most available to me,

I do like the idea of some glass beads though, but I don't know where to get them. I've seen some cheap wooden beads at a store up the street... but I didn't like them much.

So yeah, easier than I thought.

I guess when I feel the need for a prettier more decorative bead, that's when I'll spend more money. All the beads I think are pretty are like $10 at least.

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

I just got a bunch of wooden beads and a variety pack of glass beads from Michaels for a few bucks. I've been having a lot of fun with them. I like the ones on Etsy, but they are pretty expensive.

Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

Oh wow, I thought Michaels would only have jewelry beads that wouldn't work for hair.

Taby said:

I just got a bunch of wooden beads and a variety pack of glass beads from Michaels for a few bucks. I've been having a lot of fun with them. I like the ones on Etsy, but they are pretty expensive.

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

Most of them are for jewelry with small holes, but they have a lot with bigger holes. It's funny but I've started to notice other people and guys with dreads in Michaels. Apparently I wasn't the only one with the idea around here. They also have hemp rope and other things I've tried, playing around.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I know people like going cheap...

but...why do you want to put cheap in your hair?

Yes....you might spend 10-20 bucks or more on a bead....but...do you buy your underwear at the dollar store too?

Do you buy your earrings and your shirts and pants there?

Head shops are places to find glass beads.

Glass blowers come in to sell their wares!

Art costs money.

Support artists.

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
12 years ago
59 posts
Fully agree with Star.
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

I've checked out thehead shopnear me and didn't see anything. I really don't feel like going all over town to every head shop to find a bead lol.

I may not buy shirts or earrings from the dollar store. But I do buy pencils, containers, small things, hair ties,envelopes, cards, wrapping paper, art supplies, olives, etc. at the dollar store. Whenever I need a normal thing that I don't want to pay tons for, I go there. For normal plastic beads, I'll go there, or to the store up the street that sells random hair/body supplies. Or toMicheal's,their beads probably aren't dirt cheap, but they're probably not handcrafted either.

But when I buy more decorative beads I'll go to Etsy, I already have my eye on a few :) I'm not looking for quality right now,I'm looking forfunctionality,but when I go for quality I know I'll spend money. I need beads that I can lose right now.I support artists and the handcrafted movement, but I can't buy that stuff in bulk, especially if I might lose it.

Star Gryphon said:

I know people like going cheap...

but...why do you want to put cheap in your hair?

Yes....you might spend 10-20 bucks or more on a bead....but...do you buy your underwear at the dollar store too?

Do you buy your earrings and your shirts and pants there?

Head shops are places to find glass beads.

Glass blowers come in to sell their wares!

Art costs money.

Support artists.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form