Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread accessories in MN - Tams?

Miranda M
@miranda-m
12 years ago
5 posts

Hey y'all. I'm a bit of a newbie here and to the dreadlock lifestyle in general. I started them on Mother's day of 2012 so they're almost 2 months old!

Anyways, irrelevant info - This Saturday i'll be leaving to go on vacation for a week, complete with the dreaded (no pun intended) bonfires and cigarette smoke!
Now, I've heard I can just leave them tied up, but the bonfire smell in general kills me let alone it being stuck in my hair.
ANYWAYSSSSS... Haha. Where can I buy a tam (dreadlock hat)?
I've looked EVERYWHERE (I can only find them at "hipster" stores and they're like $30+ and screw that noise.) and we don't exactly have an overabundance of headshops here in little 'ol Saint Paul. So, unless anyone has a suggestion... I'm screwed! Help!? :)

updated by @miranda-m: 02/14/15 10:31:15AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

http://shops.dreadlockssite.com

right here our members make em 14 bucks for some but 30 isnt a bad price for a good tam hell for a big 1 thats custom fitted ive seen em as high as 75

but 30 is average

on our site tho they are cheap hand made by members so u support the community here

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Miranda M
@miranda-m
12 years ago
5 posts

Awesome! Is the shipping pretty speedy? I do need it by Friday or so...

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

most are u can message em and find out how long it will take

--
Kathryn
@kathryn
12 years ago
16 posts

for me, i've never had issues with bonfire smoke or cig smoke stank getting trapped in my dreads. if you just pull them back, it will be fine.

but if you're really set on getting a hat or something, i would go check out etsy. you will easily find sick tams there.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

if you don't mind a "granny colored" pink acrylic tam I could get that out onTuesdayi think if you wanted it? it's not too baggy or fancy or anything but it would work just to keep them outta the smoke if you can't find anything else? (i'd knit you a new nice one if I was capable of being that quick!)

do you have a sewing machine? you could use an old shirt or some fabric & sew up a tam real quick like

Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i personally love the smell of a bonfire. i wouldn't mind having that smell in my hair 24/7. anyway, etsy is a good place for tams. one thing though since smoke can pretty muchpenetrateanythingi highly doubt your hair will stay smoke free even in a tam. you could always make a solution of a few drops of essential oils and some distilled water in a spray bottle and spritz your hair with it as a refresher.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i cant wait to get muy f==dreads smelling of bonfires when i go to the gathering the 1st 2 days u are eatten ak[live by mosquitos and flies but u get that bonfire smioke smell and get a lil of theearth on you and they wont bite u at all

bonfire smoke works v=better to prevent bug bites then the stuff developed for the military ti ]o use in jungle warfare

--
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Also, if you crochet at all I you can nab a pattern off of Ravelry for a tam and it usually only takes me about 2 hours to make. That would be the most cost effective and guaranteed to be in your hand by Friday.

30 is a pretty decent price for a quality tam though because the yarn itself probably cost about a 1/3 of that price + the time going into making it needs to be accounted for. Synthetic yarns are cheaper but if you can get a wool one that would be best for your dreadies. :)

Miranda M
@miranda-m
12 years ago
5 posts

Unfortunately, I don't crochet. :( I wish I could even hold focus long enough to learn because I'd be all over making myself headbands and tams and whatnot. Alas... ADD gets the better of me and I end up wrapping yarn around my fingers and yeah it's just bad.

I actually ended up finding something that will work at a thrift store! I think... Whatever, if it works, it works, if it doesn't, I'm only out like $3.

See, I personally don't like the smell of old bonfire, fresh bonfire I can handle but old bonfire, no bueno. I may have no choice though depending on how this frilly little hat thing works... I also have this outrageous phobia of something (living...) flying into my hair which would result in me probably crapping my pants and it would just be awful. I feel like hats and scarves and whatnot gives me peace of mind in that area.

Y'all are awesome, by the way! I'm so excited to continue my dreadlock journey knowing I've got this community if I need the help :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form