Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hats. Hats, Hats, and nothing but Hats!

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts
Question for the you guys out there: How in the world do you manage to put on hats? Can you? I realize some of us have thinner dreadlocks than other, but in my case, they're pretty darn thick. Now, I've got a graduation tomorrow, and I'm not really sure how I can fit this cap on my head. The thing's an XL, too... Any ideas on how I might make this work?
updated by @patrick2: 02/14/15 08:20:46AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Try using hair pins (not bobby pins, hair pins. the difference being the spacing in between; bobby pins pinch closed throughout.)

Here is what they traditionally look like:
I've also seen some fatter ones but can't vouch for how they will hold up:
You can get these at a Sally Beauty Supply or Target hair section.

If you try this, or something else, let everyone else know what you did in case there is another graduating student having trouble finding something that works.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

thats why we wear tams and such standard hats dont fit but can be pinned on to sorta work

you know how when u have surgery they put a baglike hat on you to cover your hair? for me they had to use not 1..not 2..but 3 pillowcases..lol

now 1 thing you can do with your graduation cap

take the topmost dreads make a small bunlike thingy wide but flattish so it dont stick up too high fit the cap over that so it sortsa holds it in place then add a couple boby pins to pin it in place so it stays

at least i think that should work

or\

cut a hole in it put your dreads up through the hole and dangle the tassle from a dread tip..haha

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

You know, now that I think about it, the hair pins might not hold to the cap very well. I like the suggestion of having a palm tree-style grad cap ;)

I think the bun idea would work well or you can always add a strap to your hat if you aren't keen on putting pins in your dreads:
Take a hole punch and put holes on either side. Attach elastic (kinda like a party hat.)
When wearing it you can have the strap going to the back of your neck (not under the chin) and arrange your dreads in front of the strap and behind it so that it's not visible.

I hope that explanation makes sense. Lol! If not, I can try and make a picture for ya.

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts
Can you give me an example of this bun thing? I've never tried doing anything like that.
Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts

I understand that for the most part. Not sure if I have an elastic, though. And yes, the palm tree cap is a genius idea!

Valrie said:

Take a hole punch and put holes on either side. Attach elastic (kinda like a party hat.)
When wearing it you can have the strap going to the back of your neck (not under the chin) and arrange your dreads in front of the strap and behind it so that it's not visible.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Haha! And I totally made a caricature sketch... oh well, you can have it anyway. :P

And here is a colored caricature without cartoon hat diagram if ya want it.

Patrick said:

I understand that for the most part. Not sure if I have an elastic, though. And yes, the palm tree cap is a genius idea!

Valrie said:

updated by @valrie: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

those are awesome lol how did you do them?

Valrie said:

Haha! And I totally made a caricature sketch... oh well, you can have it anyway. :P

And here is a colored caricature without cartoon hat diagram if ya want it.

Patrick said:

Valrie said:

updated by @ixchel: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I have a tablet and I did the quickie sketch with my stylus using one of his pics as a reference. :P

Pathargic
@patrick2
12 years ago
61 posts
Alright, so what I ended up doing was braiding the dreads on top(extremely hard, since they're all different thicknesses), and I managed to slip the cap on top of the mass of braids. It won't go over the sides, but... Yeah, that's just impossible for hair as thick as mine. I'll settle on this. The braids look horrid, but it's a worthy sacrifice.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form