Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Thoughts on bone and antler dread beads?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You're right. It is just another use for more of the animal that would normally go to "waste". Personally I think that it's not a waste as long as it doesn't end up in the garbage can. I'd bury what I didn't use. But go for it. I think you'll quickly get a feeling that you either do like having it there or don't Go with your gut on this

updated by @baba-fats: 07/23/15 07:01:43PM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

personally i don't like hunting. now i totally understand if people need the meat to survive then i say go for it. unfortunately a lot of people view it as a sport and the kill is a trophy and the head is mounted on their wall. that just pisses me off.

if you have a way to obtain the bones from people who have used the meat for food and the pelts for warmth or naturally shed antlers like you mentioned then i would say bone dread beads would be great.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i feel the same way i often wonder how hunters would feel if they were hunted

(and secretly wish i could hunt them at least the poachers of endangered animals)

Heather said:

personally i don't like hunting. now i totally understand if people need the meat to survive then i say go for it. unfortunately a lot of people view it as a sport and the kill is a trophy and the head is mounted on their wall. that just pisses me off.

if you have a way to obtain the bones from people who have used the meat for food and the pelts for warmth or naturally shed antlers like you mentioned then i would say bone dread beads would be great.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

It does make me sad about poaching and wasting most of the animal... I saw a lot of bad stuff growing up that people did to animals with Dad being in the game commission. Hunters that would kill 20 deer and only take the hind quarters out of them, leaving the rest of the meat and the carcass to rot...
I do however feel that there is a difference between irresponsible poaching and poaching out of necessity though. I worked with a guy several years ago at a veneer mill, we made 7.75 an hour. We basically were treated like slaves and the area I'm from is so depressed your glad you have a job paying that much even, so you keep your head down and work through it... however a woman that we worked with had a HUGE problem with this man going out every once in awhile on his own land and killing a deer to feed his family. I've never seen anyone go to the extents to use as much of the animal as possible. When you've got a family to feed and a job that pays crap you do what you have to do to survive.

Looking into some of legality issues of dealing with antlers I can see why there is nothing on Etsy...
In PA its actually illegal to sell, buy or barter for shed antlers, DE has restrictions on importing cervid(deer) parts... This is interesting and may mean that I need to do some more research before considering selling on any kind of a level...

soaring eagle said:

i feel the same way i often wonder how hunters would feel if they were hunted

(and secretly wish i could hunt them at least the poachers of endangered animals)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

In Pa, if you hit a dear with your car, it'sillegalto collect the antlers. Enough people have tried it that they actually enacted a law that if you want those antlers, you have to pay something like $20 a point for them.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

in pa someone hit my pet fox..and collected her tail

i was furious i called every taxidermist around to see if any had done anything with it i was picturing herr beautiful tail hanging from a rear view mirror

but they wouldnt tell me anything

isnt it sick to collect body parts as trophies?

--
Naked Naturalist
@naked-naturalist
12 years ago
88 posts

OH MY GOSH!!!! thats horrible! im so sorry SE ):

soaring eagle said:

i was furious i called every taxidermist around to see if any had done anything with it i was picturing herr beautiful tail hanging from a rear view mirror

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i was traumatized and i really wanted to makethemrealize just whatthey did

Naked Naturalist said:

OH MY GOSH!!!! thats horrible! im so sorry SE ):

soaring eagle said:

--
Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

Thats really horrible SE...

When I was still living in PA, whenever I hit a deer (which I ended up hitting 1 or two deer a year up there, SOOOO not on purpose!) the whole damn thing came home with me and we ate it. I remember one time hitting a deer and while I was waiting for dad to come with his truck I had like 3 people stop and asked me if we were keeping it... Not too many people up there want to see an animal go to waste

soaring eagle said:

Ashley F
@ashley-f
12 years ago
5 posts
SE - I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your fox. :( You wouldn't still happen to be in PA would you? I've only read things that you've said and I think you'd be a fantastic person to meet!Australe - I know it's already been said but I see nothing wrong with creating art from deer leftovers. I know the animal didn't die just for it's bone. You're just making use of what nobody wants to eat! That being said, if you do make beads out of bone and antler, I just might want to buy one off of you! :) I think that would just be the coolest thing, making use of something like that and carrying 'the spirit of the wild' with you in your locks. I can't wait until I can put things in my hair. X)

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form