Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

no idea but id think they would start to stink after awhilke i wouldnt bother

yours are so amazing why would u wantto?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

i think you can add "extensions" & be able to remove them (that's not recommended for baby dreads, too much strain) but if you are actually adding the wool over a lock you have to use a felting needle. If you use a felting needle be careful not to actually hit your locks with it because that's damaging, & then you have to either cut it out or "pick" it out.

I thought it was a fun, cute & colorful idea but after looking at videos on youtube about it & the one girl saying to cut it off I decided it was too permanent a decoration for me & I didn't want to damage an already lovely lock.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

oh yea the feltings crazy to do

if yiur just wanting to add color do hair wraps instead

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

I would think it might smell slightly after enough times, I mean not really bad but maybe a bit sheepish lol. I know the wool soakers I use smell kinda funny if they get damp, but i do wash them & they seem fine after throughly dry? I wish i knew someone with experience, if you try them out let us know how it works out! (& of course post photos )

kaedence said:

Thanks for the feedback Ixchel and Soaring Eagle! Yeah, I'm definitely only considering adding wool dreads not adding wool sleeves to existing dreads.

I have a friend who has wool dreads in her straight hair. She's also had normal dreads and said the wool ones are maintained exactly like the normal ones, but I didn't get to ask her about the long term impact to the existing dreads. Definitely no additional issues with odor/mildew according to her experience.

As far as why I'm considering it, have mixed feelings about adding anything to my body or hair--I almost always love the playful wilder look on other people and would love to see my hair look a little crazier or thicker than it does at this stage. It's a conflict between love of art and fear of superficiality. So while I'm deciding what feels right for me, knowing about any obvious downsides of adding entire wool dreads (extensions?) may help me reach an easier conclusion =~}

Thanks again for responding!!! =~}

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

lxchel, I love that you cloth diaper as well :)

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

love our big cloth diapered booties :)
http://www.dreadlockssite.com/group/clothdiapering
Australe said:

lxchel, I love that you cloth diaper as well :)

Joni Marie Hash
@joni-marie-hash
12 years ago
16 posts
I'm pretty sure you can make a super long one and then just like tie it around the top of one of your dreads and then take it out before you shower.
Amy Minerva Winfield
@amy-minerva-winfield
12 years ago
9 posts
I have wool dreads, I made them myself. Wool dreads last for ages some of mine Ive has in for a long time. As long as you wash and dry them as your dreads they stay lovely and clean as long as they are 100% wool. At the end of the day it's sleeps hair so all natural :) mine aren't smelly at all. As time goes on the get fatter and sort of evolve in the same way as dreads.There are many ways of attaching them, mine are sewn into my mature dreads but still easily removable. You can make a long 'tail' and just wrap t around the dread. You can also attach them to hair bobbles (the ones with nonmetal bits) and have them just as an accessory.I love my wool dreads and have always added colour to my hair via wool as I have never died my hair or never will :)
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

You already commented in a reply that you have mixed feelings about adding anything to your hair... I would say, based on that, make a couple fun colored wool hair falls and use those as a super-temporary decoration until you get more research under way and know for sure whether you want to attach anything a little more permanent.

Fall's can be fun and I used to wear them all the time. Wool will definitely be lighter than synthetic (jumbo braid) so it will put less stress on your roots and dry a lot faster.

updated by @valrie: 07/23/15 08:00:18AM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

Well, you can get wool single ended "dreads" (or make your own) and slide the loop on your own dread then use a wrap of about 2-3" to keep them together as a temporary extension...?

Example of what I am talking about:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form