Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

T-shirt headwrap

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

Do you have a t-shirt that your not using anymore? Make a headwrap!

All you have to do is cut off the the bottom the the t-shirt as wide as you want the wrap to be. Then cut it open at one of the side seams and put it on your head. Super easy!

Here's one that I made:

updated by @sussi: 02/14/15 10:15:55AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i cut off the sleeves (when its hot i cut the sleeves and neckline of every shirtt i own unfortunately some necklines have ripped to my bellybutton now haha)

i pull the shirt sleeve (wide shoulder hole 1st) down around my neck, pull the hair out then slide it back up over its a nice tight headband then

alternately at night if im lazy i pull my my entire t shirt up over my head so the neck hole is rounfd the hairline and th dreads just inside the shirt

with a long sleeve shirt you can do the same then fold over the bottom hole (wasist) and then wrap the sleeves around and tie

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

Great ideas, SE! I'm def. going to try that.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

love this kinda stuff! ya'll have great ideas & I love reusing things like this & making them new/repurposing!

I recently took an old wool turtleneck sweater (i HATE turtlenecks) & cut the turtleneck off as a headband, the arms will be sewn together into wool longies (cloth diaper cover) for my daughter & the body will either become a new hat or a soaker (cloth diaper cover).

if anyone else has more ideas like this I'd love to hear about them &/or see photos!!!

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

I agree, it's fun to reuse old things and DIY!

I continued to cut up the t-shirt today. This is what I got:

And this is what I used to get it:

For the sleeve I had to cut off the seam to make it fit over my head.I tried to use the sleave seam for a pony tail and it worked. For the neck line I first had it as a loop and that was ok to use for a pony tail as well, but I decided to cut it open. I can still use it to tie up a pony tail and I can also use it as i tiny headband to get the hair out ouf my face. I also tried to wrap a dread with the neck line seam, see the result above.

If you have more tips, keep 'em coming. I'm sure that there are a lot more things that can be done.

updated by @sussi: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

awesome! i found a youtube video one day with a tshirt headwrap but i have yet to try it. look pretty easy though.

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

What a great find, Heather!

I ended up watching several youtube videos on headwraps. There are so many good ideas, problem with youtube is that I tend to get stuck there. I can never watch just one video... Youtube is stealing my time! ;-)

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

I just want to add to the above. I have made a fewt-shirt wraps where instead of cutting the t-shirt open at the side seam I cut it diagonaly from one side seam to the other. This way the head wrap becomes longer and easier to tie.

Thanks to Tied up in knots for the idea. :-)

Tied up in knotssaid:

Easy T-shirt wrap:

Lay tshirt flat. Cut off bottom. Don't worry about making it super straight. Doesn't matter. You now have a t-shirt tube.

Lay the tshirt tube flat so you have a rectangle (2 layers on top of each other).

Start cutting across the shirt at an angle. From bottom left to top right, top right to top left, etc. Just pick a corner and cut to the opposite one.

Voila. A quick and dirty headband. Pull the ends and the edges will roll, you will barely notice that it's not perfectly even.

I made about a dozen of these. They're long enough for me to use as a headband and tie my hair back at the same time.

Oops. Forgot to mention that when you cut on the angle ONLY CUT THE TOP LAYER!

That's a rather important step!

Read more: Updos and odd results due to length... - dreadlocks forums http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/updos-and-odd-results-du...

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That a great idea. I actually have a book on all sorts of things you can do with old shirts. I don't think this is in there

Sussi
@sussi
12 years ago
84 posts

That sound like a great book! I have a friend who made a bed spread of old t-shirts.It wasa great way to keep the memories even when she didn't wear the t-shirts any more.

Baba Fats said:

That a great idea. I actually have a book on all sorts of things you can do with old shirts. I don't think this is in there

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form