Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Are beads ruining my dreads?

Rusty McDonald
@rusty-mcdonald
13 years ago
9 posts
I have lots of wooden beads that normally I only wear on weekends. I think they might be ripping out some hairs from my dreads because they get snagged on the edges of the beads. Do you think that that's likely or does it not make sense? :/
updated by @rusty-mcdonald: 01/13/15 08:53:47PM
Chris Marshall
@chris-marshall
13 years ago
10 posts
Sand paper might work if you can fit it, but beads tend to be rather semi permanent. Putting in and removing beads with rough inner cores can cause much damage if done frequently to the same dreads. I only have one currently, and ever the process of finding the right bead for my hair color did some damage to the dread it was in because of switching. I would suggest using glass if you'd like to keep removing them. Otherwise, choose something you'd like to stay in.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

then u trip and fall and get 32 stitches from a glass bead

stune is my fave altho that can be a good knock against the skull too

if u wernt putting em on and off all the trime tho the wear would be minumal

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts
i used to wear beads in my hair and i found they were actually thinning the dread. it might have been because they were too tight or something but when i take them out to crochet them i really notice it. you can always just tie some cotton around thinning parts though and let that fix up the dread. other than that, if the bead seems to be pulling out your hair it must be because of rough edges on the bead. get some sandpaper on it or maybe some paint!
taye
@taye
13 years ago
833 posts
I only have one bead that i remove. I had a beautiful wooden bead that broke in two lengthwise. It made me very sad, so i do remove a wooden that i still have when i wash my hair because i do not want it to crack. I leave all of the other ones in. My wooden one had a rough interior so i wrapped an ink pen with sand paper and used it to smooth the inside of the bead. It worked really well. It does not snag or catch hair when i remove it.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
the thinning of your dreads may have more to do with the breakage from crochet than the beads themselves. Beads don't allow the dread to thicken up anymore than the size of the bead hole, when the rest of the dread is shrinking and thickening, where the bead is placed the dread diameter will stay the same resulting in a thinner size when compared to the rest of the dread. if you crochet, the broken hairs will add to the thinness. It's your hair so I'm not trying to condemn you for your personal choice, just be forewarned. Many Blessings

Prue Dence said:
i used to wear beads in my hair and i found they were actually thinning the dread. it might have been because they were too tight or something but when i take them out to crochet them i really notice it. you can always just tie some cotton around thinning parts though and let that fix up the dread. other than that, if the bead seems to be pulling out your hair it must be because of rough edges on the bead. get some sandpaper on it or maybe some paint!
Prue Dence
@prue-dence
13 years ago
11 posts
my hair doesn't break from crocheting so i put it down to what you said about the size of the bead hole. i find crocheting works really well for me and i haven't found a substitute as good as it but thanks for your thoughts

NaturalWomyn said:
the thinning of your dreads may have more to do with the breakage from crochet than the beads themselves. Beads don't allow the dread to thicken up anymore than the size of the bead hole, when the rest of the dread is shrinking and thickening, where the bead is placed the dread diameter will stay the same resulting in a thinner size when compared to the rest of the dread. if you crochet, the broken hairs will add to the thinness. It's your hair so I'm not trying to condemn you for your personal choice, just be forewarned. Many Blessings

Prue Dence said:
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
13 years ago
849 posts
no matter how gently you crochet, it does indeed break hairs...there's no reason you should have thinning dreads, it's a bit hard to know exactly what you mean w/o a close up pic though, either way as long as you're happy with them.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form