Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does Crocheting dreads make them NOT loop up?

Kristina P
@kristina-p
11 years ago
14 posts

Disclaimer: not gonna do it, just curious..

Does crocheting [andmaintaining] locs keep them fromdoingthe freeform loopy scrunching thing?

I see so many pictures of locs [on Facebook] and the girls are neat, tidy long, straight locs and the guys are loopy, less manicured natural looking [mostly, in general]

So many questions.....

updated by @kristina-p: 01/13/15 09:49:37PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well, glad to hear you are just curious. People who use the crochet method usually have continual maintenance done on them. The maintenance tucks all the looping back inside, they get rid of what is suppose to happen. All this pulling back in with the hook breaks hundreds of hairs, maybe thousands, each time. For anyone wanting dreads instantly and only for a year or so, then hey, what the heck. If they are aware that the manufactured dreads will not last and they will eventually break off and ruin their hair, it is their hair to do with what they want. As long as they are maintained with a hook, they will NEVER mature.

For people who want dreads for years or for life, waiting two years for neat, tidy, beautiful and healthy locks is worth it.

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

crochet prevents dreading it replaces dreding with weaving

it will only prevent looping a s long as you prevent dreading

once u alow dreading eventualy looping occurs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i have never crocheted...but i feel like i really see how damaging it could be because i decorated one of my dreads with an earring that belonged to my grandma. i stuck the earring in (its oneof thosehook types) and felt quite a few hairs break. nothing im worried about, but ithink about how thin that is, compare it to a crochet hook andi cant believe people actually still have any intact hair after that. itcertainly wouldn not be strong...the loops are the beginning. you gotta have them.
the Barrellady said:

Well, glad to hear you are just curious. People who use the crochet method usually have continual maintenance done on them. The maintenance tucks all the looping back inside, they get rid of what is suppose to happen. All this pulling back in with the hook breaks hundreds of hairs, maybe thousands, each time. For anyone wanting dreads instantly and only for a year or so, then hey, what the heck. If they are aware that the manufactured dreads will not last and they will eventually break off and ruin their hair, it is their hair to do with what they want. As long as they are maintained with a hook, they will NEVER mature.

For people who want dreads for years or for life, waiting two years for neat, tidy, beautiful and healthy locks is worth it.

Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form