Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My misfortune of being misinformed

Rayfer
@rayfer
11 years ago
1 posts

I was caught up in the propaganda of dreadheadhq but refused to buy their products. I started my dreads using the crochet method a little over a month ago. I soon found that that method and the maintenance of that method didn't work

I want to know if there is anything in specific that I should do for my initial transition fromthe crochet method to this method. And I'm also concerned because I turned mydreads under through the roots about 10 days ago and put rubber bands at he roots shortly after. Should I try to unturn my dreads or is it best to leave them alone from this point? I've tried turningsome of them back and it's a bit of a challenge since they were turned and banded for as long as they were.

updated by @rayfer: 01/13/15 09:45:35PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

after root flipping aka interlocking u only have a couple days to undo them

take all bands out imedietly thats just adding trouble to trouble

if u can safely easily ujnflup them do so if not then leave em alone

throw the hook away and start doing wax removal

as the months go by u will get extra frizzyt from all the broken hairs but that will settle down eventualy

u may also notice it takes 6 months longer to get to the early teen stages from the crochet tighteness

lil light aloe now and trhen may loosen em enough to reduce that tiume

getting the wax out should be your primary concern at this point though cause its what u will have the most success with

and will do them the most good

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

First and foremost, you need to get the wax out. wax will NEVER wash out in normal soap and water. It's a hydrocarbon. You need a detergent to get it out. Dawn dish soap or other "tough on grease" soaps will work, but need a lot of washes. You'll need to fill a pot with the hottest water you can stand to keep your hands in for long periods of time. Squirt a generous amount of soap into the water. Then, one by one dunk each lock into the water and massage the soap in for about a minute for each lock. Then, when all of them are done, wash like you'd normally wash your hair, soap and all. If you used wax once, you should do this routine 2-3 times a week for 1 month. If you used wax more, you;ll have to do it for longer. Depending on how much wax was used, you may want to change the water periodically. It'll get gross.

There is also a great wax remover from dreadlockshampoo.com. I'm not sure exactly how often you should use it, but it's less than with the dish soap. You just spray it onto the locks and massage it in, then wash like normal.

Eagle's right about crocheting. It'll take a few months to see them start to get back to normal. Crocheting over tightens your hair and rips it to shreds. So when you see it start to get super frizzy, that's ok. That's how you know that it's beginning to heal.

And definitely take out the bands. Bands do nothing for locks. They create weak spots and get sucked into your locks where they dry rot and cause mold and mildew

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form