Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Loosening tight roots from...Crocheting,

Jack May
@jack-may
12 years ago
16 posts
Hey everyone, I know there is a lot of discussions on here relating to crocheting and traction alopecia. Basically I have probably had my roots retightened (which I'm now aware is unnecessary and am aware of the problems it causes and have been for a while) about 3 times since I have had them. anyway I have decided to stop using the hook even though when they get 'messy' I know it'll be tempting but I'll have to just remember that that is the way they are supposed to be and is completely normal. Anyway my roots are still a but tight from the last time they were done, just wondering if anyone can suggest natural methods of loosening the hair a bit at the root? Just to try and help my roots go back to how they should feel, looser, comfortable and most of all natural, as I'm basically trying to recover my roots from crocheting just wanting some guidance as to how to go about this any help greatly appreciated :) please remember that I do understand the risks of crocheting and retightening and that is why I'm now trying to get my dreads to grow into there natural self :)
updated by @jack-may: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

wipe a lil aloe or jojoba just at the roots a couple times a week

it will take a couple months to loosen tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It's great to realized that.

Jojoba oil, massaged into the roots will help loosen them up . It takes about 6 months to recover for ever session with the hook, but you can help speed up the process by loosening your roots yourself. Jojoba is great for that. Some people have found olive oil to work, but I am more comfortable with the other oil.

Massage it into you roots and then wash it out. Do this before every wash and you will start to feel them become looser and more comfortable.

I know it will get tempting to crochet. But just remember to look at how much tighter the rest of your lock is. The root will be just as tight when it grows out and matures.

Jack May
@jack-may
12 years ago
16 posts
Okay I'll probably look for a cheap tub of aloe Vera gel as long as it's pure, do you think wearing a hat or tying them up may help in the mean time just while the roots grow out in order to release some tension from the scalp and in theory reduces any damage that may be done? Thanks SE :)
Jack May
@jack-may
12 years ago
16 posts
Thanks Baba Fats I was replying to SE when you commented, I shall try to invest in both and see what works better, maybe even try the olive oil. The hook does get tempting... It's just a case of remembering that the hook is not needed to have a head of dreadlocks. Hopefully I can get nice looser roots though, it can be uncomfy when sleeping too sometimes, I'm going for the t shirt on head look for tonight :)
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

When you look for aloe, it'll be better to get a plant. Most tube of it contain other additives like alcohol, which leave residue or will dry out your locks and make them brittle. The more pure the aloe, the better. And straight from the plant is the most pure.

Between olive oil and jojoba, get jojoba. It's pretty cheap, and a little goes a long way.

That's a big problem with crocheted locks, too. The most mature locks are still spongy and soft. Crocheting makes your locks hard. That is really uncomfortable to sleep on. When I go camping, I don't even need a pillow, I just ball up my locks under my head ad use them.

I'd advise you to let them hang free as much as you can. Since there is already so much tension on them from crocheting, tying them up will put more tension on the roots. Let them hang free and move around as much as you can. The's no reason to tie them up at night

Jack May
@jack-may
12 years ago
16 posts
Okay thanks for the tips, I'll probably post a discussion on here when progress is made. I can upload some pictures of the roots if that would help just so you can get an idea on the tightness they're at? I'll add a picture to this post just so you can see what my dreads look like in general, as i dont have any pictures of mine up on this site :) so let me know what you think. The thing is before I had the roots tightened most recently they were growing out naturally which I like, they grew out squiggly etc with loops, which I don't really mind, I enjoyed the fact they they grow out differently and do they're own thing. Then unfortunately like I've explained already I was tempted by the hook! By the way the picture of the back is an older pic than the one of the front, the one of the front is since they have been re - tightened.
Jack May
@jack-may
12 years ago
16 posts
Here's the back...
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form