Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

keep my dreads or start over?

Josh Daviau
@josh-daviau
12 years ago
2 posts

hello everyone! so heres my issue, i started my dreads with backcombing and crocheting and i believe a little wax on the first day, i also palm rolled for maybe two weeks. luckily im lazy and stopped doing anything to them for about 8 months (not even separated them). so my friend that did my dreads came over and helped me get them all separated again (wasnt a fun experience). now ive found this site and theres tons of good info.

my problem right now is i feel like everything that has been done to my dreads up to this point have ruined them and i am juggling the idea of combing them out and doing it the natural way. im just not sure what to do at this point. ive had my dreadies for 1 year and would hate to lose them. but if it must be done then it must be done

any info or advice would be appreciated

thanks all

updated by @josh-daviau: 01/13/15 09:29:19PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ok well

if they were waxed u will want to do wax removal

thats a for sure

if they were crocheted was it just once or twice or more

if it was only the day u started they will have recovered by ni[=ow

if they were crochetted again when he "fixed" thenm then that may cause issues for many months

they probly mostlu=y naturalized unless the wax screwed up the process too much

post pics

as long as u seperate wash and leave em alone u can go on from here but if u feel strongly that they should be started over then comb out dont cut

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i forgot u had pics and they actualy look good thick and strong i would do wax removal and go on with thenm naturally from here..but its your choice tio make if you want the whole dread journey that goes with natural dreading then go for it

if your happy just having dreads and keeping them happy and healthy just go on and treat them better from here on

--
Beijaflor
@beijaflor
12 years ago
20 posts

I agree, its not worth cutting them out. Nurture them and they'll grow.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I second what SE said about the wax removal. Just make sure to get the old wax out (believe it or not it will stay in your hair no matter how many years have passed and how many washes you've done.) Once that is done you can just let them keep going on. The wax removal process may loosen up the dreads where the wax was at since wax doesn't let the hair dread very well but, they will definitely tighten again.

You already have a dread journey underway and learned/corrected and moved forward. Unless you want to set your journey over and go all natural then by all means, comb them out. But it is definitely NOT necessary. :)

Josh Daviau
@josh-daviau
12 years ago
2 posts

yea when we "fixed' them we crocheted a bit and that was probly a couple months ago. i think i will do the wax removal and give them a few more months before i make a decision. i just really dont want my dreads to start breaking off in a couple years

also some of my dreads are getting kinda hard closer to the roots and i was reading somewhere on this site that they probly shouldnt be to hard but more spongey, is this right? and what can i do to solve that. or will the wax removal take care of that

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

ardnes can be from wax from the extrene tighteness of crochet or sometimes just frokm being dry

wax removal wikl take care of wax hardness

light conditioning wuioll take care of drynes and eventualy loosen crochet a bit

your dreads are so thick that a few crochet sessions wont make em break youd need hundreds to xo that much harm so as l9ing as u dont crochet more your safe

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form