Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Want to take out TnR/Crochet mess and start over with neglect. HELP

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

I'm at a crossroads. I TnR my hair around 3 months ago and even added in extensions to every TnR dread. They looked picture perfect overnight and I loved them at first. I crocheted the extensions in and crocheted my natural hair all over probably 7-8 times.

Now? I have frizz all over. I couldn't stand the extensions because they kept falling out and I didn't feel they were a part of "me." I am upset with myself because I don't have a dread journey. I naturally have beautiful curly hair. My dreads don't capture that. They don't capture me or anything. They're generic.The extensions were so long and heavy they pulled on my hair so it couldn't even flow freely to loop/twirl/live/thrive. I have a few loops at the base and I adore them.

I just got done taking out all of my extensions, and the ends of my hair are a little damaged from all the crocheting but nonetheless they're curling at the ends :D

My question is: I am tempted to comb my TnR out and start over. I want my hair to move about as it wishes and form on its own into lovely tendrils or dreads. I want a dread journey. the personal growth I've experienced just bringing myself to make them in the first place literally made me cry when I tnr my first one!!

The only "But" here is:, I'm scared of what I'll find due to my crochetting. Will it be a mess and will I be worse off? Should I just keep going down this road? or should I unravel the mess and let nature take its course??

First pic is my lovely hair before any of my stupidness

Second pic is my hair when i first started tnr.

third pic is my hair without extensions. totally gross and fuzzy frizzy,albeit better than with extensions.

Help me!

updated by @dreaded-shredder: 02/14/15 03:24:31AM
Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

updated by @dreaded-shredder: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

Well you have a choice here. You can comb it all out and start over or you could let your dreads naturalize by leaving them alone and letting them do their own thing from now on. To comb them out slather on undiluted conditioner, let it soak. Start at the tip and slowly, gently comb the knots out. Work your way up. It is a long tedious process. But if you are wanting neglect that is the way to do it.

Now your next option is to keep your dreads. Throw the crochet needle away, or learn how to make scarves :) I know several people who have used crochet as a starting method and then never crocheted again. Their dreads are lovely. Crochet is bad for your hair but the damage has already been done. It takes a while for the frizz to calm down, but it will.

You are on a dread journey no matter what starting method you choose. Your dreads are only 3 months old. Since you removed the extensions the weight is gone. If left alone now, they will start loosening up, you will see more lumps and loops in the coming months. There may not be as many because the crocheted parts are probably a little tight. You could use a small amount of olive oil or grape seed oil to condition and loosen the tightly crocheted areas.( I wouldn't use much. and make sure you wash it out well.)

Over time they will naturalize and loose the crocheted look. Dreads go through a very messy stage. It is normal for them to look wild and untamed. So whatever you decide....i wish you many happy years on your journey :)

Frank Schuster
@frank-schuster
12 years ago
95 posts

Well i like the messy 3rd pic of you and i think you look cute like that.

So i would stick to it and do nothing beside washing and separating.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

taye said it all and you do look cute in the 3rd pic

also you will have a fuzzy frizzy period to get through wether u continue or start over

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

I just recently un-tnr'd mine and am starting over from scratch, really happy with that decision, I know exactly how you feel about the desire to let them create themselves. Whatever you decide good luck!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

seems a hell of alot end up starting over naturally

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
James Turk
@james-turk
12 years ago
107 posts

Yeah, I want to look at changes as progress, not the other way around. Natural is the only way to do this I feel.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form