Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can you seperate or split a dread?

Kaila Gareau Kangas
@kaila-gareau-kangas
13 years ago
8 posts

I have 37 dreads at the moment. When I started my dreading process I separated them equally not realizing hair is thicker in some parts of the head. Some are really thin while about ten of them are huge guys is there a way to separate a few of them? Do I need to take them out and re-do them? Has anyone ever been successful at this?

updated by @kaila-gareau-kangas: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

u can but

its gonna brewak a hell of alot of hairs

how thick are they?

why wiuld u want them even

if they arent over an inch or so leave em be

id only seperate if rediculousely huge that will cause trouble

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hans Criteanu
@hans-criteanu
13 years ago
32 posts

I was actually curious about this as well. I didn't really understand separating for a while, and by the time I figure it out, it was too late for my oldest dread. In any case, it's now substantially larger than all the other ones, and I was wondering if it could be split with like a razor blade or something.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i wouldnt

how bifg is it

if its not big enough to cause trubkle then leave it

if u split it u break literaly every single hair in it

it can be done but should be considered like a surgery consmetic surgeries are an iunesacary risk nesacary surgery is a risk but acceptable risk if its truuly neeed

uif your going to split just cause it looks bigger ..dont..

if its like thick as your shoulder and causing paijn mold risk etc then split with care

but if its asthetics only then dont do it

--
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

If it's just because of how big it is, and don't like fatty's don't worry, i didn't want fat dreads when i started, but i have quiet a few. I haven't checked how long you've been dreading, but over time you produce more loose hair/grow more hair, which will result in new dreads, and will disguise the big ones after a while. Plus it will be easier, because you won't have a bunch of "regular" sized dreads to seperate, and eventually it will get so thick, you'll probably end up letting a few congo anyway :) Love your dreads for what they are doing, or have done, why turn back on the fat ones, just because they're less appealing? "dread discrimination" lol :p just kidding, but yeah, happy locking and much love <3 :D

Heather
@heather
13 years ago
1,291 posts

i have a couple of "fatties" that happened without me knowing before it was too late. congoing in my sleep. there's no way i'd be able to separate them now. i figure my hair is thin so really a fattie dread in my hair is actually about the size of my pinkie so i'm going to let it be. if your not too far into your journey and it isn't completely locked up then i would guess that you would be able to pull off a good split. you need to start and the top and rip in half toward the bottom. i don't think my tender head could take it but you could try.

mayonaise
@mayonaise
13 years ago
19 posts

all of my dreads are small except for like five chunkys and i love them they have fewer strays then the rest and they are way tighter too i think the fattys will grow on you the more mature your dreads get.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly if u leave enm u will love em

--
Hans Criteanu
@hans-criteanu
13 years ago
32 posts

sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm just gonna leave it :)

Kaila Gareau Kangas
@kaila-gareau-kangas
13 years ago
8 posts

I wont be separating. Patience and in a few years i will have new dreads to draw the attention away from my big guys. There are 2 at the back that are double as thick as the rest of mine. I would probably miss them if i separated. Thank you for all the input.

/ 2

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form