Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Beginning the free-form journey, forsaking the hook, and longing for those soft ropes

Barefootsensei
@barefoot-sensei
7 years ago
2 posts

I had my 24" of hair backcombed and crocheted in December of 2015, only to emerge with spiky 6-8" dreads and a sore scalp. I didn't really know there was a viable "other way", and tried to accept the outcome. Due to my professional work environment, I errantly thought I couldn't do free-form dreads, and got a lot of support from websites and a few local people for going somewhere to get them "installed". I thought that though the two processes were different, the result would be the same. Obviously I was misinformed. 

The results were far from what I imagined, given my previously flowing hair. I emerged with , side-show Bob-ish noodles sticking out from my head. I tried to convince myself that I would like them in time. They did get better as they grew and loosened, but when I became dismayed at the loops at the roots, I went in for more crochet--unknowingly perpetuating the vicious cycle. I hated the maintenance--it was costly, painful, and didn't represent who I am. I have never spent a lot of time or money on my hair--that's one reason I wanted dreads in the first place. I was told that "it was up to me" but that most people feel the need for maintenance every few months. I was made to feel that if I didn't get it, I wasn't "taking good care" of my dreads.

So $500 and one year later, here I am. Ready to ditch the hook. Though it sickens me that I made such a poor choice, I am really happy to finally understand why I wasn't really happy with my hair. I'm excited about the possibility of doing this more organically second time. I can't wait to release my scalp from the tension it is feeling at this very minute. I'm trying to decide whether to comb them out or just let them grow. Does anyone have any opinions or anything to help inform my decision? I'm leaning toward coming them out at this moment because my scalp is really sore. 

IMG_3470.JPG.jpg
IMG_3470.JPG.jpg  •  199KB

IMG_3513.JPG.jpg
IMG_3513.JPG.jpg  •  1.2MB

IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg  •  220KB

IMG_3559.jpg
IMG_3559.jpg  •  347KB

IMG_4128.JPG.jpg
IMG_4128.JPG.jpg  •  285KB

IMG_4388 copy.jpg
IMG_4388 copy.jpg  •  287KB

updated by @barefoot-sensei: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

when i talked to you yesterday i thought you were a guy, but no your 1 of the most beautiful women (inner and outer) I've met! actually your smile is exactly like someone i shoulda married (we lost touch for years but always loved eachother fiercely , then reconnected 3 months after she got married..dammit)

anyway looked at your pics they are certainly crocheted tight!

and stiff

that will make recovery take a fairly longtime however conditioning to loosen them will speed up recovery

if you feel strongly in your heart that you should start over then that's what you should do

lets talk more privately though about it, the little i know about you leads me to think you maybe happier  starting over but i don't know anything about the professional side of you ..or just how black your soles are (and the rest of your spiritual/hippie side)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Barefootsensei
@barefoot-sensei
7 years ago
2 posts

Starting fresh in 2017. 

IMG_4533.JPG.jpg
IMG_4533.JPG.jpg  •  349KB

hallations
@hallations
7 years ago
4 posts

Bet your scalp is soooo happy right now.  :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

-aww your adorable with short hair and its still oong enough that it should only take a few months to get long enough to dread again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form