Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

mama cloth and menstrual cups!

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I've been meaning to get a cup. I'm guilty of free bleeding on the days my cycle is really light at the beginning and end

updated by @star-gryphon: 07/23/15 06:23:54PM
Rose
@rose
12 years ago
102 posts

Couldn't you just buy natural organic cotton tampons? Cotton decomposes... and there would be no chemicals?

I've never considered any of these alternatives, this hasn't even been something I thought about!

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

you could buy those tampons...but they are still disposable. :)

Dee Dee
@dee-dee
12 years ago
51 posts

you could rose but they can be pricy as well. I would love to let more women in on the secret of how WONDERFUL reusables are!but do your research,you have no idea the chemicals that go into making tampons and pads, even organic tampons can cause tss and other vaginal infections, not to mention how much they can throw off your ph levels and cause all kinds of dryness, discomfort rashes, excuse me for being so blunt i just come across rude when i type sometimes lol!

Dee Dee
@dee-dee
12 years ago
51 posts

oh and they can save you SOOOOOOOOO MUCH MONEY!!!!

Κύριε Ελέησόν
@κύριε-ελέησόν
12 years ago
92 posts
If I may go off onto a tangent for a minute...Although I've not personally tried it (I was interested until I heard this actually) my aunt used the diva cup for a week or so and said she couldn't sleep with it in without it leaking. Is that true, those of you who use it?
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts
I haven't used it...but from what i hear it takes a few cycles to get the hang of using without leaking or spilling. Also...I'd think they would recommend against using while sleeping.
Mindy
@mindy
12 years ago
12 posts

For cups, a lot of it is getting the right fit for your body. They are not one size fits all, and your flow determines how long you can wear without leaking. Without getting into the nitty gritty, I needed a small size to "fit" me properly, but with my flow how it is I still need to empty it every 2 hours max. I used one at work with a backup cloth pad and that worked out great for me. Youtube actually has an informational channel just devoted to finding the right brand/fit for your own body.

• On mama cloth pricing, it depends a lot on materials/size. I make my own (as well as postpartum cloth) too, and know people who do it as a business. **My own observations and experience** lead me to believe that people in general will pay more for higher end materials that work better. Flannel liners are fine for the first/last day of spotting, but during the real cycle, fast absorbency, softness etc. do mean a lot. (You didn't say what materials you were using so I'm conjecturing here). Since I make cloth diapers I use scraps from that without a ton of extra cost from it either and it works out great. I back with fleece since I'm sensitive to PUL, then use bamboo or cotton fleece for an absorptive core, and top with cotton or bamboo velour. Those are my favorite and can absorb fast and hold a ton, and I know those materials are popular with cloth diaper mamas too - and those pads generally go higher priced that what you quoted. Postpartum are even higher because of more size/layers, etc. (Zorb, birdseye, and prefold twill, including chopped up 100% cotton prefolds make great absorptive cores too for potentially less $). Size and materials would help a ton in pricing :)
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

Thank you for the info Mindy! I've been talking about making my own pads recently because we are FINALLY going to be using cloth for my daughter. My grandma made a good portion of the ones I have and I'm sure she has left over materials! I told my mom that if my daughter gets cloth then so do I! It's not as gross as a poopy diaper to me! I wouldn't free bleed as often if I also made my own light day pads. My vagina likes to breathe! The plastic and chemicals in the pads make it sad.

Haha. We all should agree that a happy vagina is the best kind!

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

there is a learning curve to get the right seal & one cup doesn't work for everyone, there are different brands & sizes. i think i have a chart somewhere comparing them all (i'll try to dig it up to share). i think once you find what actually works for you & you know how to use it there shouldn't be much of a problem.

Kyra Lou said:

If I may go off onto a tangent for a minute...

Although I've not personally tried it (I was interested until I heard this actually) my aunt used the diva cup for a week or so and said she couldn't sleep with it in without it leaking. Is that true, those of you who use it?

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form