Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

taking the loooong road.

Jen
@jen
12 years ago
37 posts
yea I hear ya! I've quit many jobs because I just hit that point of no return. it's okay soon you'll be on an awesome journey .

Change~ said:

oh cool! yeah everyone who wants to know will know, ill keep updates and stuff on pics and everything i see :) i cant wait, its so hard to sit here at my desk and work right now when all i want to do is GO

updated by @jen: 07/23/15 05:15:34PM
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
12 years ago
121 posts

Like SE said, I never sold anything because I never had anything.

But yeah, I've sort of done this. Not walking though. Back in 05 I got the travel bug after reading some books (The Beach was one of them) and watching some travel movies. I don't know why it had never occurred to me before this time, but I devoted all my energy to saving up money to do whatever I wanted from there on out. I worked pizza delivery for almost 4 years and in 2009 I had tons of cash saved up from my tips, so I bought a plane ticket to thailand and just left. All I had was a little backpack with a few changes of underwear, my money, a toothbrush, etc. I brought practically nothing else. When I got over there, people always commented on how light I was traveling, they'd be like "where's your stuff?" And I'd just hold up this bag that was the size of a purse, lol. I've never felt so free.

I came back a few months later to the states but the travel bug was far from gone. I just couldn't go back into any sort of "conventional" life after that so I packed up my car with all my belongings (wasn't much) and left California. I headed east and it was one of the greatest adventures of my life, even better than Asia! I spent some time in Missouri (where I met my boyfriend) and then moved on to North Carolina where I eventually 'settled' (kinda, for now) because it's so beautiful here. My boyfriend ended up coming back here too and living with me and we got a cabin in the mountains and lived there for over a year. It was great fun. We are still living here now and saving up money so we can buy our own fifth wheel rig and truck, and then we are going to be road warriors indefinitely.

In my experience the things in life that seem like the biggest risks have given me the biggest rewards. I had almost no money (maybe $800 total in cash with NO plan) when I left California and by the time I got to NC I only had maybe $200, it was crazy, no plan, nothing. But I ended up barely scraping by and getting a little job for a bit and then life just went on...I can't imagine how much I'd have missed out on had I just stayed in my hometown and been "sensible" about my goals.. blah.

You only live once and it's always better to regret doing something than not doing something. But I've never regretted a thing. :)

Michelle4
@michelle4
12 years ago
15 posts

living without money is brave. i, myself, a coward. it's like what am i waiting for? to win the lottery? how much money is enough? i'd love to find someone who would travel for $6 with me. solitary travels with no money is much scarier than traveling on nothing with company.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I'm about ready to do it...but it's to get away from an abusive situation.

Liz Delamp
@liz-delamp
12 years ago
7 posts

Nice... do it. Many of my good friends do this, for months,or years, or for their entire lives. . I know a guy who bikes coast to coast promoting sustainability through a program called bike benefits. many people do it on foot as well, Alexander Supertramp style. People still ride the rails too, or hitch hike. I spent 2 months last winter hitch hiking coast to coast in Australia. when my money got low I'd find some work for a few days, housecleaning and such. you really don't need money at all but Its nice to have at times. I met many people who took me in for a few days, gave me a couch to sleep on and told me about their way of life. I'm addicted to travel now. rambling around, meeting new people and never knowing what will happen tomorrow. I've been living in a van for more than a year now, dreds really help since I can only get a shower if I plan it out, my hair dredded naturally as I made the conscious choice to stop preventing it from dredding with conditioner. had locks about a year... anyways back to traveling... you just gotta do it. you'll meet tons of others who do it as well, no planning necessary, sure sell your stuff.. might as well but don't bother to buy any fancy equipment, start dumpster diving. look for the "free underground market" of community gardens, local gathering places, awesome dumpsters that provide clothing, food, whatever you need. I have a kayak I got from a dumpster. Don;t be ashamed of your lifestyle, share it with people, know that there will be danger, but that is all part of the adventure, part of really living.

joy
@joy
12 years ago
7 posts

my husband did that. he went to california (from florida) and then he went to alaska he did some gold panning. he stayed in dumpy motels like 5 dollar a night places and has his camper thingy attached to his truck and took off. he really liked it. but he was only gone about six months and he moved back in with his folks for a month when he came back :) sometimes its necessary in life

Ryan6
@shiftyeyes
12 years ago
19 posts

I've picked up and just left. At age 17 I just left everything and moved to Florida because I wanted to surf. Even now I'll take off for a week and just take the kayak out and follow a river to wherever and hitchhike back. My ultimate goal is to live on the small rivers and tributaries in my kayak and just cruise the country until I die. I rarely take a lot of money with me, just a good knife, a tarp, some 550 cord, a pot, a cup, and a severe case of wanderlust.

One day I'm sure I'll just fade in to the mist and disappear. Just read "The Road" by Jack London and you'll probably leave as soon as you finish.

Coco Chloe
@coco-chloe
12 years ago
16 posts
I have! :)
Samson
@samson
12 years ago
21 posts

Wow, its great hearing people talk about their travels. I thought I was the only one wanting to travel the world on foot or hitch hiking. My friends just laugh when I tell them that I'm going on a epic journey but its ok they will never know what it means to have a free spirit. Before my time is done on this beautiful Earth, I will travel the world.

Burgandy
@burgandy
12 years ago
1 posts

amen

/ 6

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form