Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Surviving the Awkward stage!

Dreadloc Dreadsta
@dreadloc-dreadsta
14 years ago
11 posts
How have you guys managed to get through your awkward stage? Or are you still in it?
updated by @dreadloc-dreadsta: 08/22/21 08:43:05AM
Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
14 years ago
30 posts
Still in mine, but there is a natural solution! My hair being so fine and straight, I had alot of hair that wasn't locking up at all, so I bought myself a wool dread bag/tam hat to put my hair in. The static electricity from the wool has helped my hair lock up alot. My whole head is almost all in locks after like 2 weeks of wearing the tam to bed every night and as much as possible durring the day. I doubt that you're having the same issues with your awkward stage though. What's up with yo dreads, lady?
Dreadloc Dreadsta
@dreadloc-dreadsta
14 years ago
11 posts
Well at first they weren't laying the way I wanted them to. My friend thought they looked cool sticking up everywhere but I didn't. I also had a problem with breakage and had to cut back twice. Now I'm waiting for them to just grow. I can't wait. It really does test your patience.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
I'm completely still there! I'm 5 months in, and just now starting to see really good locking all over! I crochet, so my tams are all made by myself, with wool yarns that I hand select to be incredibly unique, and to my own liking. I've wrapped a few at one point with wool, and now I just keep them clean and let them be!
Junior Granger
@junior-granger
14 years ago
4 posts
hey guys I'm new here... and i'll admit that i'm at my awkward state, my hair just does what ever it wants to do, and goes in every direction and i need a hairband just to keep it under control at times
Jim the Kraken
@jim-the-kraken
14 years ago
81 posts
I just started my second set and I'm still in my akward stage too. My hair is long enough to stay down, but it just looks like I haven't combed my hair, since I'm going natural, and it's kindofa mess. I rub my scalp everyday and take omega 3 fish oils to promote faster healthier hair growth so it might cut the akward stage a little short.
Junior Granger
@junior-granger
14 years ago
4 posts
I respect that sugarmag said:
still in it, feeling a bit side-show freakfest:) but I know in due time it will take its natural course...i get funny looks but thats cool with me*
Dreadloc Dreadsta
@dreadloc-dreadsta
14 years ago
11 posts
Just curious. What are you rubbing on your scalp? If anything. Or do you just massage? Jim the Kraken said:
I just started my second set and I'm still in my akward stage too. My hair is long enough to stay down, but it just looks like I haven't combed my hair, since I'm going natural, and it's kindofa mess. I rub my scalp everyday and take omega 3 fish oils to promote faster healthier hair growth so it might cut the akward stage a little short.
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
How much would you charge to make me a tam? :) Faelwynn said:
I'm completely still there! I'm 5 months in, and just now starting to see really good locking all over! I crochet, so my tams are all made by myself, with wool yarns that I hand select to be incredibly unique, and to my own liking. I've wrapped a few at one point with wool, and now I just keep them clean and let them be!
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
Still in the awkward stage!This takes a lot of work, but this is what I did to keep them toned down a bit.1. Buy some floss. About 2 containers of it2. Get a friend to wrap every single dread in it. Best way is to tie a knot at the root, wind down (tightly) to the middle, another knot, down to the tip, (leave an inch at the end) knot, middle, knot, back to the root, and knot.3. Once you have them all done, they will be sticking out EVERYWHERE. Don't worry, sleep with a beanie or tam or do-rag on your head overnight and as much as you can, and in about a day it'll be flat.Some will come undone when you wash your hair, or if they aren't tight enough, or for various other reasons. You can leave them like that or re-wrap them if yah want. It also helps your hair dread faster, if you leave it in for a 2 weeks to 6 weeks, depending on how fast your hair dreads, maybe longer. When you take all of the floss out, your hair will look great.But one thing that has been mentioned is the patience. I've learned it through my dreads. It's definitley not an overnight thing :)Keep it up sista, peace
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form