Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How often do you separate baby dreads?

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

How often do you separate baby dreads? I'm sure it's different for everybody, but I wanted to ask anyways. I've only been separating a few times a month (I'm 4 months neglect) and want to see if I should be separating more often.

updated by @arrows-of-the-rainbow: 02/03/18 04:12:14PM
John Hooper
@john-hooper
11 years ago
21 posts

not sure, but i separate every morning because my hair is really short so it congoes very easily :p

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if none are too combined to seeperate then its plenty if they are an effort to seeperate seperate lil more often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Only separate if the hair needs it. Doing it too often will slow down the dreading process by stopping the hairs grabbing onto each other. If every two weeks works for you, then that's great. Sometimes the back of the head needs to be done more often due to sleeping habits, but otherwise, just do it when needed. If you find they are getting stuck together, then do it more often. Also, it is best to do it when the hair is wet because they are stronger at that time (the strands) and can withstand a little bit more pulling without causing damage...peace

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

I've separated mine every morning for the last 10 months, but I'd only recommend doing that if you want skinny dreads...

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

I have to separate mine daily because they cling together like kudzu vine. I'm afraid if I skip a couple of days they'll all congo into one. LOL

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

I went for about a month without separating because I didn't know it was that big of a deal. when I washed my dreads this last time I had a huge mat underneath all of my dreads covering the entire backside of my scalp. I had to separate all of them, with the help of my husband and it took forever and hurt. Now I make sure to check them at least once a day. Just to make sure they don't congo.

Michelle Stone
@michelle-stone
11 years ago
7 posts

I was literally JUST wondering the same thing. Mine are just at 2 months (rip n tear) and the roots are really loose and they are matting BIG TIME. the past two times I've separated them hurt like a mother... and even after separating while wet, some joined together as it dried. I did a lot of smaller dreads and want them to stay that way. I've seen some people do the small rubber bands and was wondering if that would be a good option for me?

«arrows_of_the_rainbow☼
@arrows-of-the-rainbow
11 years ago
75 posts

alrighty. I haven't been separating the back of my head that much. I think I'll buy a hand mirror so I can check back there more easily and then gauge how often i need to separate.

and from what I've read, rubber bands aren't a good solution tho i'm not an expert on the topic.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
11 years ago
409 posts

Hell no! Stay away from rubberbands. Rubberbands kill dreadlocks.

I'm around 9 months in and I wash three times a week, separating every other wash, once my hair is dry. I can't stand doing it when it's still damp. Sensitive scalp. Makes me cry.

I think the best way to know if you need to separate is to try to put all your hair up in a high ponytail. If you feel like your hair is folding up instead of gently all being pulled back toward the ponytail then that means you've got some work to do. You've got locks that are pulling in the opposite direction of how you're trying to manipulate them and that means they're caught in some way. Sometimes even some scissors are needed.

The more mature the locks get the easier separating becomes and you don't have to do it as much.

updated by @angel-frye: 07/02/15 10:53:46PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form