Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

learning how to section

Richard4
@richard4
11 years ago
16 posts

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to dreads in general. I was wondering how to section my hair? I have 7-8 inch hair and started dreading naturally 1 month ago. I read a lot of posts over this last month on this site and tried to find some sort of guide for people starting sectioning, but any guide I do find it's made with people who already have dreads. I read they should be around 1 inch however since I can't see the back of my head how do I go about sectioning that? Do I get other people to do it, the first time I mean since once it's sectioned I guess I will be able to feel the difference between the sections. Thanks for your time.

updated by @richard4: 01/13/15 09:53:18PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if your going naturaly u dont have to secytion it sectins itself u just want to seperate any bigger then an inch

it should have sectioned already if your weeks to a month in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep, natural neglect dreads are forrmed by everything happening all on its own. You can feel the back of your head with your fingers, I find it best to close your eyes and let your fingers SEE for you. Just feel where the section meets the scalp area, open your fingers and measure it, then look and see how wide your fingers are opened. Anything over 1 inch will give you fatter dreads, so up to you if you want that, they just take much longer to dry once mature. If you don't want that, just divide a section into smaller sizes. But yeah, you fingers can be your eyes, just close your eyes and feel around, you will get use to that in no time...peace

Richard4
@richard4
11 years ago
16 posts

thank you for the replies and advice and i have seen sectioning on my head (mainly the front) but they are quite large about 2 inches i have very curly thick hair and as soon as i separate the section in half, a little time later and it's knotted again! I will just have to keep on top of it. Thanks again for your help.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Nothing wrong with fatter dreadlocks if you want them. They do take up to 36 hours to dry if 2 inches thick. Sounds like you are one of the ones that will have to keep on top of things often for the first while. If those certain areas need to be done every couple of days to keep them from joining, then do it, eventually you will just have to check them weekly. The ones that don't join like that, just let them be and check them weekly...peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form