Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Aloe Vera?

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts
I was told to wait until my dreads are mature to Use it and I will but I had bought it before I got this information. The thing is, what I bought is an aloe Vera gel which is all natural but the bottle says it is a dietary supplement that you a supposed to drink...is this even what I am supposed to use???
updated by @jackie-turner: 02/14/15 06:17:33AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

yup and should only have 1 ingredient aloe vera its the fu=ood grade pure stuff you want when they add other stuff it has the oposite effect drying the hair out

the aloe sold for sunburns is the worse\

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
DreadfulAmenita
@taby
11 years ago
80 posts

I used it the first month - just a little. I kept it in the fridge and tried to drink it as well since apparently it's so healthy, but I couldn't really stomach the taste. The frizz started going away after the first month, and I haven't needed to use it at all. I didn't notice it loosening my dreads or anything when I used it, though I was warned about it conditioning.

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts
I bought this off of amazon. It says 99.9% organic
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

look on the back there should be nothing but alow

that 0.1% can be alot if crap u dont want

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
11 years ago
68 posts

I have 2 aloe vera plants which would probably be the best way to get hold of the gel. They werent that expensive and easy to extract it but it depends how often you have to apply it to your hair (I dont have a clue about using aloe vera for dreads sorry) but I use the gel to clear up my face.

All you do is cut off one of the outer leaves right at the bottom. Then very carefully just cut the egdes of the leaf literally only just taking of the spikes and then you can peel back the skin of the plant on the flat side. I peel back a little and use it like a pen to apply it to my skin and when it dries you just make another cut in the flesh so more gel comes out. If you just want the gel though you would peel the skin back about 5cms then make alot of cuts into the flesh to cut up all the cells to get the gel being careful not to cut the other side of the leaf and then you can scrape that section into a container and do the next 5 cm and the next etc.

But Im not sure how you would store it to keep it fresh maybe put in the fridge? But would probably only be good for a few days. If you have to apply it to your hair every day then buying it is probably better or youll have no plant left after 2 weeks xD The aloe plant does produce baby plants though so if you can succesfully replant them then youve got yourself a free plant =]

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

So i read the ingredients, I can't remember the actual names but there are three of them. One is a thickening agent, which I assume is good for dreads? The other two were mold inhibitor and ph stabilizer. All three of these sound non-harmful and possibly helpful for dreadlocks. Am I correct in saying this?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

There should only be Aloe Vera 100%, no other ingredients added.....peace

Jackie Turner
@jackie-turner
11 years ago
76 posts

but will these hurt my dreads? I can't seem to find any aloe vera online that is listed as 100%

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

visit a health food store nearby you, they should carry it in a refrigerated section....peace

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form