Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tying hair up/pony tail during during early stages of neglect method.

Reggae lover
@reggae-lover
11 years ago
9 posts

I've been dreading for about 4 months now, and I've noticed that parts of my hair is dreading much slower than other parts. In other words, my hair has starting is separate in ropes, but if I take a look at one lock, half of it is knotted, but the other half isn't. I realized that the part that is pulled back when I tie my hair up is dreading much slower. I leave my hair up for at least half of my day for when I work out and what not.
Any ideas for other ways of dealing with my hair when I'm active? Hats maybe?

updated by @reggae-lover: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Don't tie up your hair so often, especially half the day unless you need to for a job, then you should tie it up before your shift starts and take it out as soon as your shift ends. Dreads should be free to move and knot, so you are slowing down the process, especially in the tied up areas. Are you tying them tight, that is not good, it will put stress on that area. If you wear a hat/tam, than it should be loose, not a tight hat like a regular winter hat or a baseball cap. Tie it up for as little time as you can. Why do you tie it up for what not? Let your hair be free during that time, dreads love what not. The more they move, the more they knot.

Reggae lover
@reggae-lover
11 years ago
9 posts

I have to tie it up for sports practice. I try to just do a single knot, but sometime i have to do double since it keeps falling out.

Princess Kay
@princess-kay
11 years ago
47 posts

I have to tie it up a lot too... and is dreading very fast ... so cant be that bad! Of course s better the freedom! But i cant when i am working ....

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

tying up your hair with your hair is okay, it does not cause pressure points and is gentle. It is when a tight scrunchie or anything along that line is used, and is tight, that will cause problems down the road, unseen right now.

Reggae lover said:

I have to tie it up for sports practice. I try to just do a single knot, but sometime i have to do double since it keeps falling out.

Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
11 years ago
40 posts

Not trying to hijack the thread, but in regards to starting the dread process. But this thread made me think.

What about wearing regular hats? I know skull caps and tams are ok when you are already dreaded, but for some ole nub like me who does not have dreads yet, does wearing a normal hat hurt or help the process? I got one of those animal hats, Its like a wolf head winter hat type deal, not sure what its made out of would those be cool to wear instead of a beenie or tam? Really don't think those would fit me to well XD

Also when I get out of the shower, should I be drying my hair with a towel as usual, or just let it

the Barrellady said:

tying up your hair with your hair is okay, it does not cause pressure points and is gentle. It is when a tight scrunchie or anything along that line is used, and is tight, that will cause problems down the road, unseen right now.

Reggae lover said:

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Loose hats Ross, loose hats

Ross said:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but in regards to starting the dread process. But this thread made me think.

What about wearing regular hats? I know skull caps and tams are ok when you are already dreaded, but for some ole nub like me who does not have dreads yet, does wearing a normal hat hurt or help the process? I got one of those animal hats, Its like a wolf head winter hat type deal, not sure what its made out of would those be cool to wear instead of a beenie or tam? Really don't think those would fit me to well XD

Also when I get out of the shower, should I be drying my hair with a towel as usual, or just let it

the Barrellady said:

Reggae lover said:

Rude Bwoy
@rude-bwoy
11 years ago
40 posts

Muchas Gracias

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form