Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

help for my husband's dread journey

OliviaJonas Aley
@oliviajonas-aley
11 years ago
30 posts

My husband started letting his hair grow out to begin his dreadlock journey. My own are 6 months old that I started with tnr. Our hair/scalp types are completely different, so we need some advice on washing. I use and love the baking soda/ACV rinse. I am mixing in some tea tree oil, lavendar oil, and rosemary oil into the BS mix. The ACV rinse is just a capful to 5 cups of water and I have no issues with any of it so far.

His scalp is heavy on the oily side ( mine is on the dry side ), and he is concerned about how he is going to wash his hair once he starts getting sections. His hair is only 2 inches long, and he has been washing with Dr. Bronners for the last month or so. I wanted him to get used to not using a shampoo that leave residues. On a side note, I thought I read something about a way to help balance oily skin.

He thinks that the trouble with doing a "no touch" method is that it won't properly clean his hair. He works in the field and can get pretty dirty all over. He is quite accustomed to scrubbing his scalp vigorously to get clean!

I suppose we could continue to use the Dr. Bronners...

Tips? Advice? Experiences?

thanks

updated by @oliviajonas-aley: 01/13/15 09:52:27PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Olivia, you are lucky, you live in an area with soft water, so you can use many different dread shampoos without them leaving a residue, including Dr.Bronners. Your husband does not need to use the ACV since his scalp is heavily oily. If he wants to try using ACV once every 3 weeks just to try out, do that, but if his hair is continually fine without it, then don't even try it. Baking soda will exfoliate the scalp without scrubbing, he should believe you about that. Buy him a dread shampoo he wants to use, he can gently scrub the scalp with his fingertips, when he rinses out the shampoo it will run through the sections and get those clean. Did you know that there is a product you can buy at your local drug store called Biotin, it is found in the vitamin section for under $10 and helps promote hair growth. If 6000mcg are taken for 3 months, there is a noticeable change in the length of hair, maybe something he can do to help his 2 inch hair. His will certainly separate right now, it will just take a while to knot, as it usually likes 5-6 inch hair to start..

Hope he also has a fantastic journey.....Peace

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Barrellady pretty much summed it up.

I go hiking really often in the summer, and my hair gets dirty and grimey. Now I'm working in the woods all day, every day. So my hair gets dirty, there, too. I've never had a problem with BS not cleaning my hair perfectly. If he uses the right amounts, it will do a great job exfoliating his scalp and rinsing all of the dirt and dead skin away.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form