Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is there a such thing as too thin

Han
@han
11 years ago
4 posts

So I started my dreads about a month ago using the dreadheadhq kit. I had a few friends section and backcomb my hair and then they put the wax in. I soon realized wax was my enemy and after using small amounts about four separate times I washed out what I could with hot water and dish soap. I then just let my hair do it's thing and completely left it alone besides when washing it. They're a bit of a mess at the moment but that doesn't bother me, what bothers me is that I'm realizing I'm not too happy with the thinness of the dreads due to my thin very straight hair. I have about 38 long thin dreads and I don't know whether I should try to combine some, get dread extensions, or just accept them for what they are. Any thoughts on this?

updated by @han: 01/13/15 09:52:16PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Han. You will have to work on getting the wax out several times. You can't leave any in at all. They will never dread properly, they will still hold in water and smells if any wax is still in there. It will take several months to get it out using the Dawn dish soap & water. If you can afford the Wax B Gone $15 from DreadlockShampoo.com, then that is the best thing to use. Here is a posting with replies by Baba Fats & Soaring Eagle on how to remove the wax with Dawn dish soap: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/a-couple-of-questions-about-dawn-soap-and-wax-removal

Until dreads mature, they are thin usually. They will slowly shrink and loop, becoming the thickness of where that section meets the scalp. So the sections at the beginning of the journey will not be the same size as when they are mature. If you scalp section is 1 inch around, then so will your mature dread be.

Good luck.....Peace

. Good luck....Peace

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

They will thicken a lot as they mature, over the period of at least a year. After that you can let them congo (grow together) if you still think they are too thin. All you have to do is not separate and they will congo.

Also, healthy dreads mature to the size of the section on which they sit.

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

38 is a good number. You might not believe this right now...but the above comments are true. With one exception .....my hair is thin and will never be as thick as my scalp sections. It is a rule of thumb that the hair will dread as thick as the sections...but when it comes to thin fine hair it will never be. Your dreads are going to shrink a whole lot. My hair was very long and by the end of the 1st year they were above my shoulders. I had all the hair down my back shrink to little short nubbins :) so they got FAT. My hair didn't stop shrinking for a very long time. I didn't notice any growth until the 2nd year and by the 3rd year it started growing like crazy. Now people who do nasty things to their hair (such as crochetmaintenance) will not experience as much shrinkage...that is due to the hair not really dreading properly. But I promise promise promise...if you are good to them they are gonna be fat and beautiful.

Han
@han
11 years ago
4 posts

Thank you all so much, you've all given me so much good advice! My sections are all about an inch and a quarter so if what your saying is true I will be very happy with the size when they mature. I will definitely be trying the Wax B Gone. And Taye I will try to take your advice and be good to my dreads so they might turn out as thick and beautiful as yours! I won't be giving up on my dreadies anytime soon.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

accept them 30-40 is a good medoum thickness the average head of dreads is in the 30-40 range they will fatten up as they mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

1 1/4 inches is practicly too thick 1 inch is typicalt y the fattest u want but that would be around 20-25 at 398 i think they are uns=der an inch on average

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
11 years ago
393 posts

Too thin? No way. Most of my dreadlocks are less than 1/4 of an inch thick with some that are thinner than 1/8th of an inch thick.

The last time I counted I had at least 100 dreadlocks.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form