Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Confused... should I still have some faith?

Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

Hey guys, I'm running in the 11th month of my dread journey and the coming June makes it a year. But unlike other people that I've been observing in this site, my hair seem to lock very-very slowly. It's nearly one whole year but there are only 4 baby dreads at the backside of my hair which don't seem to get bigger.

Talking about themaintenance I wash my hair with BS and ACV solution once a week. I let it dry naturally and don't apply any other products. And while going outside, I usually wear a beanie hat because I've got dandruff problems. I hope it'll vanish one day. But sometimes, I have to take off some stupid big flake dandruffs from the root of my hair which is really embarrassing and it might be one of the reason which is making the process slower. But I don't do that often.

The problem is, having all themaintenancedone, i think my hair is still lagging behind comparing to the majority.I'm really tired and wonder how long this is gonna take if I go all the way natural. SO, should I have some more faith? I've come to think of making dreads in cosmetic way because I'm worried that It's going to take forever to have natural dreadlock on my type of hair.
I've added a photo with this post, please take a look and suggest what you think?

updated by @kazi-khadka: 02/15/15 05:45:11AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Are you mixing the BS and ACV together? That would absolutely cause the dandruff. BS and ACV mixed together release a huge amount of heat and fizz. It fries your scalp and hair. This will do severe damage if done over and over. You need to do the BS wash first. Then rinse it out really well. Then do a quick ACV rinse to bring your pH back to normal.

And the Beanie isn't helping. Beanies are too restricting. They slow down the progress considerably.

Like you, Ixchel and myself took about as long to see any progress. I didn't even see my first lock until after a year. Ixchel didn't see any progress for about 8 months. And only recently did she start to see locks develop. So you're not alone

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Yeah, definitely not alone. My hair is super slick and it's taking a long time. The only major progress happened over the winter, when I was wearing wool/cashmere/alpaca scarves around my neck (making tangles there). Then I took a trip overseas, and the well water there gave me mad progress; which promptly fell out when I got home!I decided not to use the sea salt spray, because I wanted to see if it would really knot on its own, and it is, but not as fast as some. I'm really not in it for the speed, and I know there are all kind of things I could do to speed it up... Maybe I'll do a weekly or monthly sea salt spray or something over the summer, when I would be swimming anyway (if I lived anywhere near the ocean!)I'm in my 10th month, and to everyone who knows me, there are no visible locks on my head. I can feel maybe... Less than 10? I haven't checked in a while and my hair is up for housework at the moment. I am sure my friends think I gave up my journey. Won't they be surprised ;)
Melinda Thompson
@melinda-thompson
11 years ago
8 posts

My hair is the same way. It never dreaded naturally after 2 years of trying. I also had to cut out the BS because it just stuck to my hair.. never really rinsed out. I now use an all natural vegan bar shampoo, which solved all my dandruff issues. I plan to do something to "start" my dreads. Because other wise I know they won't dread up.

aaron graham
@aaron-graham
11 years ago
1 posts

my hair looks exactly like that but im only in for a month and have no locks yet

Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

I occasionally mix BS and ACV but not everytime. Now I realise, I got to stop that and I was planning to stop wearing beanie after dndruff is gone. Without it, going outside with a dandruffy hair is so embarrassing.
Thanx for your suggestion, I think I'll wait and see what happens this summer because I plan to spend my vacation on the beach. Let's see if the sea water can be really helpful..

Baba Fats said:

Are you mixing the BS and ACV together? That would absolutely cause the dandruff. BS and ACV mixed together release a huge amount of heat and fizz. It fries your scalp and hair. This will do severe damage if done over and over. You need to do the BS wash first. Then rinse it out really well. Then do a quick ACV rinse to bring your pH back to normal.

And the Beanie isn't helping. Beanies are too restricting. They slow down the progress considerably.

Like you, Ixchel and myself took about as long to see any progress. I didn't even see my first lock until after a year. Ixchel didn't see any progress for about 8 months. And only recently did she start to see locks develop. So you're not alone

Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

Great! It feels good to know that you are not giving up. But looking at you pics, I think they're making sections. :D.. Let's hope, something interesting will happen soon so that I don't have to loose hope.

ginger said:

Yeah, definitely not alone. My hair is super slick and it's taking a long time. The only major progress happened over the winter, when I was wearing wool/cashmere/alpaca scarves around my neck (making tangles there). Then I took a trip overseas, and the well water there gave me mad progress; which promptly fell out when I got home!

I decided not to use the sea salt spray, because I wanted to see if it would really knot on its own, and it is, but not as fast as some. I'm really not in it for the speed, and I know there are all kind of things I could do to speed it up... Maybe I'll do a weekly or monthly sea salt spray or something over the summer, when I would be swimming anyway (if I lived anywhere near the ocean!)

I'm in my 10th month, and to everyone who knows me, there are no visible locks on my head. I can feel maybe... Less than 10? I haven't checked in a while and my hair is up for housework at the moment. I am sure my friends think I gave up my journey. Won't they be surprised ;)
Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

ohh.. that's kinda scary.. hehe.. you mean your hair never had any progress over 2 years period? I'm kinda interested.. are you still on the journey? My hair also took like 7 months to have my first baby dread. It grew slightly bigger over 2 months period but I think It has stopped locking with other hairs now. I have 4 baby dreads now at the back of my head but two of them are really small.

Melinda Thompson said:

My hair is the same way. It never dreaded naturally after 2 years of trying. I also had to cut out the BS because it just stuck to my hair.. never really rinsed out. I now use an all natural vegan bar shampoo, which solved all my dandruff issues. I plan to do something to "start" my dreads. Because other wise I know they won't dread up.

Kazi Khadka
@kazi-khadka
11 years ago
22 posts

you're lucky..hahaa
all the best for next things to come...

aaron graham said:

my hair looks exactly like that but im only in for a month and have no locks yet

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

With the BS wash are you using the recommended ratio: 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups water, pour on wet head and leave on for 10 minutes without scrubbing. It will exfoliate the scalp on its own. Rinse it out well and then use the ACV rinse. Mix 1 capful to 5 cups water, pour over head and rinse out within 1 minute or even right away. Any longer and it will over condition the hair, making it too silky to knot. I used this for my entire first year and it worked fantastic with my hard well water. With some water, you may just have to boil the 5 cups of water first and dissolve the BS into it, when it is cool enough to use, then go for it.

Also, finishing off your wash with a cold head rinse works wonders for the scalp & dandruff. Just put you head under the showerhead and put the water as cold as you can take for a moment. This closes up all the pores and feels great. Give it a try and see how that works for you.

.....Peace and hang in there

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form