dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question about separating

Jule
@jule
11 years ago
20 posts

Hello,

I have long hair and just started a few week ago the natural way - so my question is:

I wash every 2-3 days and try to separate a little bit but my problem is:

my "under hair" (don`t know how this called in english) - my hair this is near my neck is not dreading but it`s a big mess - no knots - just a big, big "thing" like a birds nst. Fells like a fluffy mat. Mhm....what can I do? If I separate them, just a few hour later its the same.

My first thought was: let them be....but Im worried about that later I never can separate them and have one really big dread under my hair.

Any ideas what to do?

I try to make a photo but see, this doesn`t work really good. Sorry

updated by @jule: 01/13/15 09:52:00PM
Jule
@jule
11 years ago
20 posts

Forget to tell: its not this little in the photo - it`s about around my neck - sure two hands full of mat :-)

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Mine did this somewhat. I did separate it almost twice per day for about a month, until the knots got the idea that I wanted them to form rows. Then I had to re-separate the knots closer to my head not long ago, because it got away from me and made another "rat's nest" there. Someone on here had suggested using fingers to feel where you should separate, rather than trying to see in the mirror. This makes my arms tired, but seems to work well.
Jule
@jule
11 years ago
20 posts

Thank you Heidi

My question is: you put the top part in a lose bun - only while you separating or even the day long? And how you sleep? with open hair or also in a bun?

love and peace

Jule
@jule
11 years ago
20 posts

Thank you Ginger

oh well....tired arms...I know that and I also try not to look in the mirror ;-)

I thought I can let them be....but this doesn`t work. Sorry about that and I find it difficult to separate them - it hurts and I think it`s not so nice for the hair and I do my best to do it soft

ginger said:

Mine did this somewhat. I did separate it almost twice per day for about a month, until the knots got the idea that I wanted them to form rows. Then I had to re-separate the knots closer to my head not long ago, because it got away from me and made another "rat's nest" there. Someone on here had suggested using fingers to feel where you should separate, rather than trying to see in the mirror. This makes my arms tired, but seems to work well.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Don't tie hair in the beginning of your journey, or put it in a bun. Just let them be free. When you sleep the hair will knot all over faster for you when they are also free, Your tossing and turning while sleeping will cause friction and knotting. As for the "nest", no worries, some get that daily, some don't, if you need to separate that area 2x a day, then do so. but when that "nest" action slows down, so should your separating....Once all that has stopped, it is best to separate the sections from joining when your hair is wet, the strands are stronger & thicker when wet.... .Peace

Jule said:

Thank you Heidi

My question is: you put the top part in a lose bun - only while you separating or even the day long? And how you sleep? with open hair or also in a bun?

love and peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form