Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

is it true that some dreads never fully mature

Gabriella2
@gabriella2
11 years ago
9 posts
Well I came across something on the net and they mention that some dreads take longer then others to fully mature and yes I totally agree with that, but then they mentioned that some dreads never fully mature and I would just like to know if that's even possible?
updated by @gabriella2: 01/13/15 09:51:57PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

If you use wax, they will never mature. Same with some other products. Also, crocheting prevents locks from maturing fully.

But if allowed to knot up on their own, all locks fully mature. Where did you hear about this? What site?

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

I put a 2 inch glass bead in my hair when my babies were babies. My dread thickened up above and below it....so i could not remove the bead.The bead broke a few months ago...so i took a hammer and mashed it so that i could remove it. My dreads are almost 5 years old. That 2 inch section did not dread. But other than that and what Baba said.....dreads mature....they just do :)

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
I've heard of hair not dreading at all, especially around the face. Mine has been pretty stubborn in that area. I saw a girl on YouTube saying that her hair framing her face never dreaded, and her dreads were 9 years old. But dreads that start knotting continue to knot until mature.
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

The hair is starting to become more of a solid dread in that area. The bead broke only a month or so ago. The bead was stuck on my dread for over 4 years and was put on way before the dread was mature. When I removed the bead...the hair underneath was almost straight.. The dreaded hair above and below the spot is kinda loosening and helping the area dread. (If that makessense) I am verysurprised at how fast the area is healing itself. I was showing it to SE last night and it actually took several minutes to find it. It does not look like undreaded hair anymore, but I can squish the area almost flat between my fingers. So don't worry...if you have the same issue...it will heal itself :)

k8ekate said:

Out of curiosity Taye, what did you do with the 2 inch section that didn't dread? Is it a weak spot? I'm concerned only because I have one dread that I did something similar to and now the bead is stuck. I'm sure the dread isn't mature underneath it and I worry about someday having it break off.
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

For some people with very oily skin at the face area and behind ears. the natural body oils can constantly cause any forming knotting to slip out, if they form at all. I have a couple of sections behind my ears that are just the same as before I started to dread. At 50, I still have extremely oily skin, passed down from my Hungarian father. I clean that area constantly now, but the oils reproduce more in that specific area. One day they may grab onto other dreads right beside them, but so far no takers!...Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Like Baba Fats said, once locks start knotting, they will mature with time.

But there may be the rare ones that never knot like the ones I said I have, but who knows, years down the road they might surprise me. Maybe if I lived by the ocean and swam, it would solve the problem!

Barrellady said:

For some people with very oily skin at the face area and behind ears. the natural body oils can constantly cause any forming knotting to slip out, if they form at all. I have a couple of sections behind my ears that are just the same as before I started to dread. At 50, I still have extremely oily skin, passed down from my Hungarian father. I clean that area constantly now, but the oils reproduce so quickly in that specific area. One day they may grab onto other dreads right beside them, but so far no takers!...Peace

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

My locks are about 7 years old, and the hair at the nape of my neck, forehead, and temples is still soft and straight. Not a knot in site. Once in a while I TnR them to see if any knots will hold. But none yet.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form