Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a question for hippies..and spiritual travelers.. this title sounds so lame but i dunno what to write here lol

christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

so im 19..i belong to this middle-class family,, i live in a crrrroowwwded ass place in india called mumbai, n like most other places, as u're growing up its all drilled into ur head - study study study, get a job, get a family, get a better job, blah blah blah..

and in spite of the fact that so many people perhaps realize that they dont wanna be part of this.."system" or what ever its called..we kids just have to eventually become victims of this monster cuz soon it becomes a matter of survival for some of us.. will we be able to own a house ? feed our stomach ? i ws almost getting caught up into that phase of my life..

i've always been timid, a dreamer, creative in my own little space, asking stupid questions n then get lost in my own world of thought..i smile at plants n trees.. i love looking into the eyes of a stranger and feeling a weird sense of familiarity - all of these qualify me as a weirdo to people..

in november i visited goa n it ws the first time i saw people from other countries and people from othr parts of my own country.. in matted hair, dancing, being one.. n i spoke to a few and they told me that they travel where ever they want and that the whole world is their home n for the first time in my entire life i ws sure of the fact that its what i want to do..
when they dance they dance like there is nothing to worry about, i saw people living on random beaches n they said they'd been doing it for years..

my question is, how do u do that ? did u spend years earning the money and save up till u could travel everywhere ??

what kinda jobs do u take up ?? have u mastered skills so that u can find tiny jobs where ever u go n then live freely till u need to work again ?? has any one lived in monasteries ? where do u go back to ??

if i decided i want to be a healer and learn skills like stitching or decide to paint psychedelic stuff for rave parties is there any advice u can give me about how i can work towards this dream ? are there countries that have communities of such people ??

i have seen nothing of the world outside and i dont know who to ask..

updated by @c-bird: 07/08/19 09:19:28AM
Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
11 years ago
59 posts
I'll be interested in other replies too. I have a wandering spirit, but I also have ahusband and a child and a house and all of that is a lot for us to leave at this point in our lives. I was married young (at 20) and I wouldn't change it, but I've never been able to see the world like I dream of :).Hopefully in my future.I hope you find happiness on your quest <3
taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

This kinda made me sad. My big dream in life was to live it out in Goa. It was a beautiful fishing village on the coast. Now Goa is nothing but sky scrapers and condos, the true beauty has been destroyed. Goa makes me cry now. To answer your question....the ability to do those things lies in community. To be very honest....I am a female too....but there is physical harm that can happen. To be able to do those things....you need a small community to protect yourself. Find and friend people living the life that you want to live. Each of us have skills. You can be an artist (but you don't have to be) or work part time in a local bar or grocery to make money to survive. All you really need is a tent,suppliesand street smarts. Don't try to be like someone else because you are so beautiful as you are. Be open to new experience. But always be safe...

taye
@taye
11 years ago
833 posts

and people that wander...usually do not have money saved up...they usually live day by day...meal by meal.

christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

hi kimberly :) i hope u will too !! peace and love to you and ur family :)

Kimberly Eve said:

I'll be interested in other replies too. I have a wandering spirit, but I also have ahusband and a child and a house and all of that is a lot for us to leave at this point in our lives. I was married young (at 20) and I wouldn't change it, but I've never been able to see the world like I dream of :).
Hopefully in my future.
I hope you find happiness on your quest <3
christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

hmmmmm yes thats true the place is almost destroyed only a few hidden beaches are still pretty but they'll be gone soon.. did u spend years wandering in other places ?? yes safety is so important.. i will hold this dream close to my heart where ever i go and then im sure i'll find my people :) thank you so much for ur advice :) lots of love to you :)

taye said:

This kinda made me sad. My big dream in life was to live it out in Goa. It was a beautiful fishing village on the coast. Now Goa is nothing but sky scrapers and condos, the true beauty has been destroyed. Goa makes me cry now. To answer your question....the ability to do those things lies in community. To be very honest....I am a female too....but there is physical harm that can happen. To be able to do those things....you need a small community to protect yourself. Find and friend people living the life that you want to live. Each of us have skills. You can be an artist (but you don't have to be) or work part time in a local bar or grocery to make money to survive. All you really need is a tent,suppliesand street smarts. Don't try to be like someone else because you are so beautiful as you are. Be open to new experience. But always be safe...

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

hi cristina, my native place is goa but i have spent all my life in the same city as you. . yep goas pretty much changed true.

hmmm.... hippie lifestyle yea... live by the day, never plan for the 'tomorrow'. happiness exists in the present. the moment u start planning for the future your thought processes start fluctuating between positive n negative.. 'what to dos n what not to dos'... this causes worries.

hippies are basically wanderers. they dont possess anything.. wealth is the last thing that they hold. u gotto believe first of all that materialistic things only restricts ur definition of happiness n satisfaction.. happiness is intrinsic, something that is within you and the more u look outwards the more u move away from it. things, objects and goals can be 'achieved', but happiness only comes on its own.

if u wanna live a wanderer's life u will frst of all have to give up all d urge of a comfortable life. because soft cushions, pillows, cars, air conditioners, etc are things that u dont get outside ur house or outside of ur comfort zone. u will have to think out of that comfort zone and have to frst prepare ur mind for living in a pretty much insecured life where u dont know whats going to come next.

yes hippies n wanderers mostly live in groups and mostly harness their skils together and work in tandum for earning their daily supplies. none of them is rich or poor as most of it shared. u can work as a photographer, artist, bar tender, musician, crafter, solo actor or group of actors who play various roles and entertain people, potters, painters, knitters, acrobat, stitcher, makin statues out of sand, hula hoop, street magician, illusionist, juggler, masseur/masseuse or perhaps absolutely anything that u can think of and have ur liking towards..

every1 of us is skilled in our own way, u just have to enhance those skills and have to put those skills to appropriate use. u gotto be street smart. u gotto be very very adaptable to varied climates, situations n people that u meet. uve gotto accept whatever the day puts u upto. some hippies sell their skills for money, some may even trade them for other basic necessities. (barter)

its not easy to live a wanderer's life. especially becos we have evolved so much n transformed ourselves into a materialistic being who thinks far ahead of just basic necessities.. but certainly is an adventurous life where there is no uniformity and uncertainties are a common thing. when are u moving out...? i have already packed my bag.. :P

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

oh n yeah how can i miss out on this... if u dont wanna live that much of an insecured life, u can just buy a house in a peaceful place out of ur life savings along with a piece of land... cultivate ur own food be self sufficient and sell some for profits. fishing can be a good option too. dont hunt animals..... we are not the stone age man.. :P

christina bird
@c-bird
11 years ago
54 posts

thanks for taking time to elaborate so much !! yes its all i want basic necessities and pure love i dont want extra money :P i think it'll be years before i can pack my bags :P

hope u have a wonderful time where ever ur heart takes youuuuuu :)

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
11 years ago
100 posts

oh what a wonderful post...:) i spent 10 years as a hippie wanderer, oh the joy. you have a hippie family/community and we all live day to day together, we all would practice street art, tarot readings, healings, music, dance etc. make our change buy some food to eat and lay under the sky together. love is just the best feeling. if you find interest in this it is a good place to start by getting involved in that community, do not just leave your home, it takes time to become part of a hippie community, and yes you most of the time need a skill to contribute to daily survival, i am still part of a very large hippie community and we all earn our daily money and share everything, now i have a shop i run independently and i pay rent to live in a home, not permanent or ideal for me , i plan to wander again in the near future. im not sure if what i wrote makes any sense, i speak much better in person hehe :) safe travels my friend

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form