Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Itchy scalp still. Please help!

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts
I have posted before asking for help with my itchy scalp and while it has definitely improved it isn't completely healed. I do the bs/acv wash aprx every 4 days. In my bs rinse I add peppermint, rosemary, lavender, jojoba and vitamin e. I let that sot for about 10 min. In my acv rinse I add a little bit more jojoba and let that sit for aprx 3 min. About every 4th day my whole head will begin to bother me so I kno to wash it, but after its washed the backside of my head behind my ears really itches still. I have played around with bs/acv ratios but I still don't think I have it figured out. What should I do?! I've heard of people making a paste out of the baking soda and putting it on their trouble spots. Is that recommended? PLEASE HELP! I'm beyond over the itchiness. It's the only downfall to my dreads, and it's proving to be an imminent one. I don't want to have to get rid of them because I'm always uncomfortable.
updated by @nicki-herrick: 01/13/15 09:51:35PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Have you tried putting your oils into a spray bottle with water and spraying it directly onto your scalp? Try this for instant relief, you will feel the peppermint tingle right away, and in a good way. This way you are not rinsing out the oils in the shower, they are staying on your scalp.

How is your hair locking/ maturing? The ACV should only be left in for 1 minute max as it is a conditioner, if your progress is slow, this may be why.

Perhaps it is time for your scalp to move on to the Dreadlocks Shampoo products. It sounds like you head does not like the Baking Soda washes.....I started using their liquid shampoo after my first year of dreads and love.... Good luck....Peace

Nicki Herrick
@nicki-herrick
11 years ago
27 posts
I have had my dreads for a little over a year and a half. I have not tried any essential oils on my scalp directly except for jojoba oil which does help. So I will definitely give the spray bottle idea a shot. I will also mix it with distilled water because that too helps balance out your skins pH. I have the dreadlock shampoo bars that everyone recommends on here, and I love them because they smell wonderful and my hair always feels extra dready after it, but it makes my scalp itch even more profusely. I feel like I rinse my hair well enough while in the shower. Could it be that I'm not?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Maybe it is not rinsing out well enough, perhaps your water pressure is a little weak? If you think the shower head may not be rinsing it out enough, try finishing off by using the water from the tubs faucet, the pressure will be stronger. It is certainly worth a try....good luck.

Oh yeah, I also add tea tree oil in the spray mixture, it repels bugs like lice etc. Forgot to mention to shake the bottle well before each use, as the oil sits on top of the water, so you need to mix it well.

contact Panterra, a member on this site, she is a hair and scalp expert and may be able to help you further.....Peace

Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

I've been having a similar issue... In my opinion, BS/ACV is best for a deep cleanse. I was using it every 2-3 days and I would get really itchy as well. Now I switched to dreadlocks shampoo bars, and I wash every other day with noitchiness.OccasionallyI still use BS/ACV rinse, but only when its been a while in between washes and I need a deep clean.

Beckysan
@beckysan
11 years ago
17 posts
Could you be having a mild allergic reaction to something?I know for me, pre dread, that my scalp was flaky and itchy even though I am "healthy" and used non sls shampoos. When I quit eating gluten (started slow) my scalp felt way better. Not saying gluten is necessarily your problem, but maybe one of the oils is giving you issue??
Derek2
@dreadedhyena
11 years ago
37 posts

I've had on and off itching still as well, but I have pretty sensitive skin anyways. I've had luck with patchouli actually. I put some in a normal water bottle, then fill the bottle up with water. Shake it reeeeeal well, then pour it over my head after the washing and rinsing is done, kind of a last step. For the most part, it really seems to help. It's worth a try anyways.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form