Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Best way to start off my dreadlocks?...

Corinna shoshoni
@corinna-shoshoni
11 years ago
5 posts
I was booked in to get my hair dreaded in 2 days with using the crocheted method. Luckily I wanted to research everything before hand, it's something I really want so I want to make sure I get it right! I was thinking of starting them myself upping back combing and palm rolling with a little sea salt and water in a spray bottle. Does anybody have any recommendations please to help me on my beautiful dreaded journey :) any comments will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks. :)
updated by @corinna-shoshoni: 01/13/15 09:51:33PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Corrina. Read up on the dreaducation section near the top of the page and go to Methods. You will find the different types on there. Whatever you choose, I recommend that you let your hair naturally separate for 2 or 3 weeks first, this will let you know where your sections really want to be. If any are larger than 1 inch, just make them smaller, unless you want fat dreads/congos. But be aware that larger dreads take much longer to dry once mature, sometimes up to 36 hours!

Palm rolling is not necessary, it really does nothing except maybe damaging the strands of hair. People who have unfortunately waxed (the devils dread crap), palm roll to keep the roundness, waxed dreads look like candles most times and is extremely harmful in so many ways.

The Method section will teach you that natural is best, then the twist & rip method, then backcombing. But yep, read up on that first to help make your decision. Once you have started, you only need to wash every 2-3 days and keep the sections separated from each other....nothing else....easy huh!

Enjoy the journey once you begin.....Peace

Corinna shoshoni
@corinna-shoshoni
11 years ago
5 posts
DaThrill Helton
@dathrill-helton
11 years ago
48 posts

i recommend that you cancel the appointment you have booked. I wouldn't pay for something that you can get naturally. I had to pay 50 dollars when I went because I didnt find this awesome site before i went. They basically did everything you shouldn't do including using wax and telling me to retwist constantly and palm roll which are all bad for your hair. You cannot go to a saloon and get dreads the same day. The only thing they will do is make it LOOK like you have dreads and to do that they will have to use methods that damage your hair and prevent you from having "REAL" locks. Just read everything in the dreaducation section and ask questions if you have any and u can get dreadlocks for free ;)

Corinna shoshoni
@corinna-shoshoni
11 years ago
5 posts

I have cancelled the appointment :) cancelled it straight away after doing tones of research i kept coming back to this site and couldnt find anything good about crocheted dreads. so luckily i did research!!!! itr looks like the twist and rip method is good so think i might start with that then go o natural :) thanks for your comments

matt krantzberg
@matt-krantzberg
11 years ago
20 posts
you don't need to pay anyone for dreads. just throw your brush away. get some shampoo from dreadlockshampoo and separate as needed.
Corinna shoshoni
@corinna-shoshoni
11 years ago
5 posts

was thinking maybe start with the twist and rip method to give them a helping hand on their start?... dont know how well it will turn out yet but i suppose i can allways gtake it out if i dont like it them start fresh 100% natural :)

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

yeah u sure can start with twist n rip.. but keep in mind twist n rip is just a starter method .. they are not 'dreads'.. its only ur own manipulation of the positioning of the sections. also there are all possibilities that some of the sections that u make will partially or even completely come undone after the first few washes.. but that is absolutely normal and sections will get tighter in the course of time as nature takes over n u stop combing them.. dreadlocks are the most natural style of hair for which u dont need to pay anything.. good luck sister :)

Corinna shoshoni
@corinna-shoshoni
11 years ago
5 posts

yea i understand that it doesnt happen over night :) my hair is soooo fine and thin but knotts up really bad really easily!! partially why i decided to get dreads :) my hair seems to want it lol and saves the hassle brushing (which iv never been to good at in the first place;) Thanks for your comment :) all ways good to hear people opinions!!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form