Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking soda wash

Vwpimpin
@vwpimpin
11 years ago
27 posts
Ok, so I am a little confused. Most of the measurements I see are 5 cups of water to a half cup of baking soda. But then I saw that soaring eagles recipe says about the same amount of baking soda (maybe a little more 3/4) and fills a gallon pitcher up. Aren't there 16 cups in a gallon? I am going to start adding oils so I want to make sure I have it right. I also bought clary sage and eucalyptus. How many drops should I add of them to pitcher. My hair is short so I have only been filling half the gallon container? Thanks
updated by @vwpimpin: 01/13/15 09:51:33PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep, use 1/2 cup BS to every 5 cups of water. Pour this over wet head and let sit for 10-20 minutes. Then rinse well. If your hair and scalp is not extremely oil, then always use the apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse after using the BS. This will restore the hairs PH and is a natural conditioner. Mix 1 capful of ACV and pour over head, rinse out right away or within 1 minute. If you do not use this,your hair will dry out over time from the BS.

For short hair, this is all you need, the 5 cups. For 10 cups you would need 1 cup of BS, and that would just be more money spent. I have longer hair and use the 5 cup method.

for mature dreads, members put around 30 drops of essential oils in. How far along are you. I am at almost 14 months and put my oils into a spray bottle mixed with water and shake it well and then spray it on. Just my own personal preference.

Peace

Vwpimpin
@vwpimpin
11 years ago
27 posts
Thanks. I just started. I am only two weeks in so you can't even tell yet. Yeah, I bought lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, rosemary and clay sage today. I was using dr. Bronners but I also have a bottle of Lockin up liquid shampoo. I just did my first bs and acv the other night after spraying a sea salt spray and loved it. I did the 5 cups. Can you explain more about your spray bottle? That sounds more convenient? What do you put in and how much do you dilute it? When do you spray it in?
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I have just a very small water bottle so that the mixture will not get old in there. I bought it at the dollar store. It holds under a cup of water. I really did not measure the amount of drops, but it was about 10 drops of 4 different essential oils topped up with water. I just give it a good shake before using, as oil separates from water, and then I spritz it on my hair. Whenever I want a delicious aroma I do it. When locks are mature, then I will start adding it to my wash with much more drops, but for now this works for me and saves on the cost of oils......Peace

Vwpimpin said:

Thanks. I just started. I am only two weeks in so you can't even tell yet. Yeah, I bought lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, rosemary and clay sage today. I was using dr. Bronners but I also have a bottle of Lockin up liquid shampoo. I just did my first bs and acv the other night after spraying a sea salt spray and loved it. I did the 5 cups. Can you explain more about your spray bottle? That sounds more convenient? What do you put in and how much do you dilute it? When do you spray it in?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form