dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Children with dreads

Siri Nam Simran Kaur
@siri-nam-simran-kaur
11 years ago
20 posts

Nameste,

My 8 year old has been asking to have her hair dreaded and I'm on the fence about it. Children aren't the best at committing to something and the chances of her changing her mind are good. On the other hand it might be a valuable experience for her. What do you guys think?

updated by @siri-nam-simran-kaur: 01/13/15 09:51:25PM
Jeremy Oxenbridge
@jeremy-oxenbridge
11 years ago
11 posts
you should let er get them done.. the only thing is the first few months they will look tacky but if has patience the go for it
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

On a whole, I'm completely against kids with locks. Sure they're adorable. But that's not the issue. Kids under about 10 years old just don't have the cognitive ability to understand choices and decisions. Even when they say they "want" something, they don't necessarily understand it, nor have they given it any real thought. So succumbing to their unthought out request is almost mean and selfish.

But that said, you know your kid. At 8, they are getting close to that age where they can think for themselves an make cognitive decisions. If you think they are able to really understand what goes into having and growing locks, let them.

I would recommend that you sit down with them, one day, and explain what goes into it. How they will have to wash their hair regularly. How people will make fun of them at school, and on the street. How they won't look like yours for a long time. Kids see time passing differently than your or I do. Tell you that something will take a year gives you a real sense of the process. Kids, generally, don't understand how long a year really is. They haven't lived as many of them to get a real grasp of it.

Now, are you ready for it? Are you ready to have people look at you like you're a terrible parent? People staring at your locks and judging is one thing. You can shrug it off and say they don't know you. While you should be able to have the same reaction when they insult you for letting your kids hair go crazy, it can have a different emotional effect. People are no longer judging you for you. They are judging you for the care you give to another person.

So if you think your kid is ready, and you think you are ready, do it. But don't do it if it's just because you think it's cute that your kid want's locks.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I'd even say to tell them to wait a month, and ask again. If they really want them then, they might be ready. If they forget about it, and don't ask again, don't bring it up. They've forgotten, and obviously weren't quite ready yet

Siri Nam Simran Kaur
@siri-nam-simran-kaur
11 years ago
20 posts

Currently we are at a wait and see stage. We will be moving to India in Jan. and the significance of dreads and the view on dreads is different all around so I'm not too concerned about the social stigma.

I totally agree with regard to waiting and if its still an interest then pursuing it. I first had dreads at 12 years old and changed my mind and cut them off after a year. Years later after committing my life to the teachings of Vedanta, spending a lot of time in India and understanding the significance of having dreads I decided to do it again, now as a representation of the way I live my life. I'll wait it out and see if it comes up again. But all and all I want her to feel like she can express who she is throughout her journey of discovery.

The-Pygmy Page
@the-pygmy-page
11 years ago
43 posts

I just started my son's dreads like a week or so ago . He is three . I have never cut his hair and it is past his shoulders . He has never cared for his hair to be brushed anyway . Yeah his hair has been going crazy I let it naturally section some then tnr the sections a little bit . I decided to do it because he has very curly hair and I have to brush dreads out of it every day . He definitely knows I am doing his hair like mine because the other day when I was pulling some of them appart he grabbed one of his own dreads and said ,"hair like mommy" with a big smile on his face. Do I think he understands them no , but do kids understand why you cut and brush their hair or style it the way you want ? I don't think so .I do think waiting forher to ask again may be a good idea . all in all you are the parent . I believe it is the way hair should naturally be because what came first the hair or the comb ? I would make sure she knows the easiest way to go back to normal hair if she doesn't want them is the cut her hair off though so it will be pretty short

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts
You know what I,ve done, my 11year old daughter Sientje wanted dreads, I even myself put up a discussion just like yours headed My 11year old daughter wants dreads, Well what I did was let her have a couple just behind her left ear, she had stopped combing her hair about a week ago and one dread started behind her ear anyway, so I back combed with a bit of t&rip one just beside it, she is thrilled and it give her the feeling of what dreads feel like, but the way she reacted when she found her first natural dready told me she is a natural as far as dreads go. We even took a pic of it and have put it somewhere on my page.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form