Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ball of hair?

deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

I'm 4 weeks into my natural method and I was wondering what to do with balls of hair forming? idk i just have these 3 sections of hair that are all tangling together but it's only near the root and it's literally just a ball of hair haha i was wondering if with time it'll just be less as a ball and if the dreads will be too big or form congos!

i always seem to have so many questions about this whole thing but i guess im just too excited and panicky at the same time lol

updated by @deathwish: 01/13/15 09:51:17PM
deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

Here's a pic of what it looks like, it was taken a few days ago so now the ball of hair is a little bigger!

can i have tips on how to separate well? I tried to separate the "balls" from my other dreads that were forming by pulling in opposite directions but they still come back together? should i add beads? hemp cord?

also the dread i twist n ripped that is shown in the picture has a "ball" near and at the base they are literally connected... should i cut it in the middle or?

updated by @deathwish: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

no do not cut i cant tell if thise are just loops or something elee but yea seperate just by pulling apart

beads arent a bad idea

is the combined base over an inch

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
deathwish
@deathwish
11 years ago
17 posts

um, perhaps it's 3/4 of an inch at the base!

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

No worries, hairy balls are good!

Couldn't resist. But seriously. I'm eight months in and my hair is still doing this. It just knots faster on top, for whatever reason. I just caaarefully separate the knots into sections and they eventually dread.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Well now, your hair is on its journey, it will do many crazy things in the next few months and what you are worried about is just one of them. When your hair is wet, pull sections apart that are joining with other sections, wet hair is stronger and can take more abuse. Just hold onto the ends and pull them apart. Some people need to separate certain areas daily, some weekly or even bi-weekly. Your hair will tell you when you need it. Congos are formed by sections joining together and not being separated. For drying purposes, the ideal max is 1 inch sections, where it meets the scalp. Fat dreads can take up to 36 hours to dry once mature.

I'd be worried about your square shaped head instead, oh wait, that's not really you in your profile pic...sorry about that.

You will have loops, zigs, zags, hair ball looking sections and any other crazy thing that can happen will. No worries with any of it, just keep up on the separating and you will be fine. Embrace your journey with open arms and have fun.....Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form