Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

beyond repair help

sk
@sk
11 years ago
3 posts

hey i have had my dreads for 8 months now and i listened to some bad advice, i got them done using a crochet needle and backcombing, and i have put wax in them. after they were done i left them a lone for a while, but then started maintenance by using a really small crochet needle occasionaly , i now wonder if i have done too much damage to them, they don't seem that damaged though i do have little loose hairs on them, and i am a little worried about the roots because they seem a lot thinner then the dread itself, but other then that they seem pretty strong, but im still worried that too many hairs are broken and i just haven't seen the full effect yet. i recently have been doing the wax removal and the bs rinse and everything but is it to late what can i do

updated by @sk: 01/13/15 09:51:14PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

As long as you start getting the wax out and stopped crocheting, you're on the right path. Do your locks "feel" thinner at the root when you squeeze them? Or is the section, itself, actually thinner than the lock? Because the hair at your roots is still straight, it will just about always feel thinner when you squeeze it. But if the section is thinner, that can be a problem.

How often did you crochet? There is going to be considerable damage after 8 months. But it can repair itself, to a point, if you didn't do it all that often. At this point, it'll probably take about a year for your locks to recover. They will get messier and messier in the next few months. Loose hairs and frizzies will pop out all over the place. That's a good sign. It means that your locks are loosening up, and getting ready to retangle in a healthy way.

And the process of getting the wax out will actually help speed up the crochet recovery because you are massaging your locks more than you'd normally be doing

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

well if u remove the wax and stop crochet eventualy they will be ok..as ok as they can be anywaythey wont get any more damaged anyway

a natural dread is very very strong a full head u can hang 3-8 elephants from a single 1 inch dread should support 1000 pouds or more

crichetting 5 or 6 times might reduce that to 500 pounds but thats still pretty strong

keep crocheting andeventualy it will be below 1 pound

it takes severe damage to get that weak tho

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
sk
@sk
11 years ago
3 posts

yeah i dont crochet that much at all, they did it when they first dreaded my hair, then for the first 5 months i didn't do it at all cause i didn't need too, then suddenly i started to get lumps in my dreads so i bought one, i did it probably five times but probably not to every dread just the problem ones, but then i started noticing a lot of little broken hairs, and i don't know what to do about them, will they go away or what should i do. and no the roots are only thinner when i squeeze them so i guess that one good sign

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

lumps were loops the 1st sign they were recovering from the crochet and starting to dread that was a good signnot something that needed fixing

no broken hairs re broken forever they will mostly be sucked in eventualy but from here on u must leave them alone! remove all wax throw the hook in the trash and leave them alone love the lumps

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah, it's a good sign.

Those frizzies are from crocheting. Crocheting rips your hair to shreds, making more and more tips that can pop out of your locks. So, as you can see, they are. In time, as your locks loosen and tighten, they will get sucked into your locks. There will ALWAYS be some frizzies. Mine are 6-7 years old and I still have them, and I never crocheted. It's just part of having locks. The only way to get rid of them is to wax them down. And you know how nasty wax is for locks.

But over time, they begin to not be noticeable to others. You will see them because you look at your locks from inches away. but from an average 2-3 feet away, no one will give them a second thought

sk
@sk
11 years ago
3 posts

thanks for all the advice, any condition treatment you recommend

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

aloe (pure straight from the plant) or jojoba but dont over do either

--