Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Going green: Dr. Bronner's vs. baking soda / vinegar

FiddleSticks268
@fiddlesticks268
11 years ago
14 posts
I have two questions about soaps and cleaning, in general!

So I've switched to baking soda and vinegar for cleaning and for shampoo/conditioner, but I recently read an article that said these are mostly disinfectants--it is sometimes better to use soap and some elbow grease to *clean* things rather than *disinfect* them.

I've always been apprehensive of using soap because it is not biodegradable (or else really expensive if it is), but being able to use soap products will allow me to have biodegradable toothpaste (apparently) among other things--straight baking soda is too abrasive to use regularly for most hygiene care. Dr. Bronners is biodegradable along with a whole string of other environmentally/people friendly things.

1) Both methods can be used for a variety of things though--so which is better for what?
Shampoo & conditioner
toothpaste
body soap
laundry detergent/soap
dishes
household cleaning

2) I mix vinegar with dish soap to clean the shower--the soap makes the vinegar stick to the wall so it doesn't just run down the sides before it starts to work. But I guess the sudsiness is always due to crazy chemicals that are put in to make it seem likes stuff works--usually all these other soaps are not sudsy (very true with baking soda/ vinegar system). Does anyone know if there is a way to get a sudsy/sticky yet biodegradable mix with vinegar to clean the shower?

Thanks!!

updated by @fiddlesticks268: 01/13/15 09:50:35PM
JavaLizard
@javalizard
11 years ago
89 posts

I really like Dr. Bronners and according to their website they are pretty eco minded and friendly. I think out of all their products a lip gloss has bees wax, and they tried for a while to not use it but they just couldn't get around it.

I agree that there are times to disinfect but usually cleaning is just as dandy. Mainly because your scalp still needs some of those things living on it and disinfecting can upset the balance. Bronners stuff a little goes a long way so you are not washing a ton of stuff down. And as for other uses Bronners adds the nice smell. I haven't brushed with it, though I also stick with just brushing no abrasives at all. It cleans my kids head to toe plus their stuffed animals. We enjoy it,

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
11 years ago
91 posts

I use Dr. B's for everything except the dishes. Sadly with my stupid harsh city water it leaves this obvious film on everything except the utensils =/

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form