Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I need some help and advice please!

Thecrowing
@thecrowing
11 years ago
3 posts

I started my dread journey almost 2 weeks ago using the tnr method. When I had finished I was so stoked with how they came out. Yesterday was my first wash and I used the BS/ACV method. I have read here that it is normal for the hair to fall out of the knots but is it normal that 75 percent of my hair has fallen out after the first wash? My hair is very very silky and straight due to me Asian heritage. I will include some pictures and hopefully I can get some advice on how to dry it out or you can just tell me I am overthinking it and I need to leave it alone! Thanks!

updated by @thecrowing: 02/14/15 12:07:28PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Welcome again. Yes it is normal, I actually just left you a comment to expect that to happen. The T&R sections are your blueprints to your sections only, they are not dreads. They will loosen or fall out in the beginning and then start their journey of dreading.

You are just fine....Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

looks just fine but what are u washing with and how (drying too) just to make siure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Thecrowing
@thecrowing
11 years ago
3 posts

I used 1/3 cup baking soda in a gallon of water. I let it sit on my hair for about 30 minutes then rinsed it thoroughly. After that I did 2 cap fulls of ACV and 10 drops of teatree and squeezedhalf a lemon in a gallon of water. Let that sit for 2 minutes then rinsed after that I sat out in the sun for a couple hours until completely dried. I have abnormally silky hair and I never used conditioner to begin with. I guess you can say I have pretty oily hair.

soaring eagle said:

looks just fine but what are u washing with and how (drying too) just to make siure

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

The ACV should only be in for no more than 1 minute, you can even rinse it out right away after pouring on your head. ACV is a conditioner, so I think you may be overconditioning which caused them to slip out so quickly. If you have pretty oily hair, then you really only have to use ACV once a week, or once every couple of weeks, see what works best for you. Try using one capful instead of two capfuls on you silky oily hair.

Your natural scalp oil will balance the PH in your hair, so after using the BS, you don't need to always use ACV.

You may want to adjust your ratios also:

mix 1/2 cup of baking soda to 5 cups water (doing this weaker will not exfoliate the scalp)

Mix 1 capful of ACV to 5 cups water

Peace

Thecrowing
@thecrowing
11 years ago
3 posts

Thank you for the advice.What would happen if I didn't use ACV at all and just stuck to the BS?Alsowith it being so conditioned from the ACV now have I messed up the dreadingprocess at all or slowed it down?

the Barrellady said:

The ACV should only be in for no more than 1 minute, you can even rinse it out right away after pouring on your head. ACV is a conditioner, so I think you may be overconditioning which caused them to slip out so quickly. If you have pretty oily hair, then you really only have to use ACV once a week, or once every couple of weeks, see what works best for you. Try using one capful instead of two capfuls on you silky oily hair.

Your natural scalp oil will balance the PH in your hair, so after using the BS, you don't need to always use ACV.

You may want to adjust your ratios also:

mix 1/2 cup of baking soda to 5 cups water (doing this weaker will not exfoliate the scalp)

Mix 1 capful of ACV to 5 cups water

Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You did not slow down your process at all. Did you know that doing the twist & rip slows it down, the quickest way is free form/ neglect/ natural. So you are fine, you are okie dokie.

I am not sure if you can miss the ACV altogether, maybe only use it once every two weeks? Baking Soda dries out the hair over time, not right away, so you may not notice that your PH balance is off.

Here is a good drying tip for you, actually I have two: use a towel the same colour as your hair, dreads love to eat towel lint, so it will not be so noticeable if it is the same as your hair colour. As your sections start becoming dreads, the drying process takes longer. I use a micro fiber towel, like a ShamWow, to absorb the excess water out of my hair. This cuts down on the drying time :)

Peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

if u skip acv u get dry itchy scalp fried hair an unhealthy ph ballence

u shiuld only skip it if u have excessivly oily hair and want to shift the ph away from the acidic side

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

That is why it fell out so quick is because like you say, silky - what would really help is if you bleached out your hair with bleach powder and peroxide,even as it is now half dreaded and then put the colour back in after using a semi red filler (or the brown colour would go greenish) that will take out the silkyness. Being an X hairdresser i have come across this situation many times, then use a sea salt spray as time goes. I see what you mean by how your dreads turned out at first, so awsome! So you can now see they have the potential to look good and you r lucky as you don't have that real strong straight asian hair :) Another way is to put perm solution through your newley done dreads and the fixer of course. I know SE and heaps of people here would be against this and so am i buti only say it as a last option if it means that you can't have dreads at all! If you do make a desision to go a head i can take you through the process bit by bit to guide you.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Yep SE, she says she has pretty oily hair, besides being silky.

soaring eagle said:

if u skip acv u get dry itchy scalp fried hair an unhealthy ph ballence

u shiuld only skip it if u have excessivly oily hair and want to shift the ph away from the acidic side

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form