Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Worried

Eric Blaine Finley
@eric-blaine-finley
11 years ago
16 posts

ok so, I wash my dreads every night with baking soda, ive had them now for about 4 days. i woke up this morning and they was really loose, half way down some dreads just came undone and they was tight, i did the twist and rip. i dont know what to do and im losing faith that my hair will dread..

updated by @eric-blaine-finley: 01/13/15 09:50:16PM
Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

CHILL..! its just been 4 days.. and nothing happens in 4 days.. twist n rip is just a starter method and THEY ARE NOT REAL DREADS. u just give that initial push to the whole hair dreading process with the help of twist n rip. it is quite likely that the sections that u have formed may open up a lil after the frst few washes..

with time they will knot up again n form on their own.. u dont need to wash ur hair everyday.. its still fine becos u are just into ur 1st week. but as days go by and as sections start forming on ur head dont wash ur hair everyday.. give time for hair to dry completely before the next wash. or else u'll encourage fungal growth in ur hair. i would suggest keep a gap of atleast 1 day between washes from now on itself..

as far as hair type is concerned.. dont lose faith, all hair types lock up if they are not combed and not conditioned. hair has a natural tendency to tangle up and form knots.. its only becos we comb them everyday and use all sort of manmade things, conditioners, shampoos etc our hair is prevented from tangling up. the only difference is some hair types lock faster while some take a lil longer. ur hair sure will form dreadlocks in due course of time. PATIENCE IS THE ONLY MEDICINE. good luck :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

My goodness, don;t sweat a thing Eric, they are doing exactly what they should be doing. When you do the twist & rip method, you are not making dreads, you are only sectioning the hair to how you want your dreads to be. Glad you did not do T&R tightly, because they have to loosen, sometimes coming completely out for that section to start it's journey on becoming a dread. The thickness will change. See where the section meets the scalp?, that is how thick your mature dread will be. Those sections will loosen, loop, frizz, zig zag, and shrink, slowly feeding their way up towards the root section and becoming fatter. So see, you are loosing faith with hair that was doing what it should....

There is no need to wash every NIGHT! Let's start with the night....never go to sleep with wet hair or else mold will set in....dry dreads and sleep = healthy hair. Unless you hair is super oily, you should be using the apple cider vinegar (ACV) after every Baking Soda (BS) wash. Forming dreads like clean hair, so washing 2-3 times a week is good. Are you doing the ratios right, just in case, here they are: mix 1/2 cup baking soda to 5 cups water, pour on wet scalp and leave on for 10-20 minutes. This exfoliates the scalp, leaving it nice and clean. There is no need to scrub the scalp with this method, but you can if you want. After you rinse out the BS, you want to do the ACV rinse. This is done because BS alone can dry/fry the hair, so you need to balance the PH, also ACV is a natural conditioner safe for forming dreads. Mix 1-2 capfuls of ACV (depending on hair length), to 5 cups water...pour over rinsed off head and leave on for no more than 1 minute, even rinse out right away if you want. If you have super oily hair, then you do not need to do the ACV after every BS wash, just use it a couple of times a month then.

So Eric, your sections are doing fine, the journey is a fantastic ride to be enjoyed. Don't fret when things come undone, just watch with fascination all the different steps the sections go through.

You can wet your hair everyday, that's okay in the beginning because the hair will dry in between washes, which is important. When dreads are mature, you do not want to wash everyday as they can take a day or more to dry, depending on the thickness of your dreads. But for now, all's good with getting them wet.

Peace and no worries

(sorry If I repeated anything another post is saying, one might come up before I finish posting mine)

Eric Blaine Finley
@eric-blaine-finley
11 years ago
16 posts

thank you so much, i feel soo much better

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You have the same question posted twice, so their are also answers on the other posting :) Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form