Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Twist & rip dreads day 2 ( need some help )

Teisha smith
@teisha-smith
11 years ago
15 posts
Ok so I'm on day 2 of my dreads but I haven't washed my hair for like 2 weeks prior, and now I'm on day 2 dreads do I wait to wash them ?Also I haven't got dread shampoo so what can I wash them with ?One more thing I want the roots and ends to lock up ?
updated by @teisha-smith: 02/14/15 09:09:51AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

YES, wash them. Dreadlocks don't form well in dirty hair. 2 weeks isn't that long, but it's long enough. You should be washing every 2-3 days. They will come untangled before they mature. Don't worry about that. You're only 2 days in. They will untangle and retangle over and over again for the first ~6 months.

Baby locks have 1-3 inches of straight hair at the roots. This is essential for the healthy development of your locks. Don't try to force them to tighten. That loose hair is what snags and tangles with new growth to form a stable and healthy root system. In about a year that 1-3 inches will shrink to 1/4 - 1 inch. It happens naturally. Leave it be.

If you really want blunted tips, be aware that your locks will take about 5-12 more hours to dry. This can lead to mold since water will be held in your locks for much longer. It's not advisable to have blunted tips, but since some people love that look, I wont tell you not to go for it. It's just going to lead to problems if you aren't extremely careful drying your locks. All that said, you won't even be able to blunt your tips until your locks are pretty much completely mature. So in about a year, if you still want blunt tips, let me know, and I can help you do it safely. None of that crocheting your wispy ends up into your lock

Teisha smith
@teisha-smith
11 years ago
15 posts
Ok thank you heaps what should I wash my dreads with ?
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I love the soaps from dreadlockshampoo.com. They are outstanding. For baby locks, the liquid is better and gentler. If you have soft water, and want to, Dr. Bronners is great. Or, with soft water, the Baking soda/Apple cider vinegar wash is great too. You can add whatever oils you want to to that wash. If you like the sound of the BS/ACV wash, I can help you with the ratios. There are a few posts with recipies for what oils to use that help different scalp issues, or aromatherapy scents

Teisha smith
@teisha-smith
11 years ago
15 posts
So I can do it sooner probley the baking soda one because I have to order other shampoos of the net (:
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

Sounds good. So... Get a 1 liter water bottle. I like to use a Vitamin water bottle because the mouth is bigger and easier to get the BS in. Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to it. Then top it off with water.

If you can't get a 1 liter bottle, mix 1/2 cup of BS in 5 cups of water. If you need more water, just double the recipe. But I like to use a bottle because you can shake it up to mix the BS better. You can add whatever essential oils you want.

Pour this on your head and let it sit there for 10-20 minutes. Then rinse it off really well. Now, using the same container, add 1 capful of apple cider vinegar to the 5 cups of water. Pour that on, and rinse it off right away. Then let your hair dry.

You don't have to scrub at all. This is a no-touch wash.

If you like this method, then, as your locks mature, you can use more ACV and eventually leave it on longer. But never more than 3-4 minutes. But that's a way's down the line.

Teisha smith
@teisha-smith
11 years ago
15 posts
Thank you heaps :)) I really appreciate the help :)) do you reckon my dreads look ok for day 2 ?? (:
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

They look fine for day 2, for not having washed yet. But they won't look like that after your first wash. They will unravle a bit. Don't freak out when it happens, They will come back together, and then unravle again, and so on and so on for the first few months. Don't reTnR them. Don't put bands on them to prevent the unraveling. It needs to happen.

There is 1 lock that looks like a band is in it, just from the shape. It could be a shadow,though. Since it's a B/W shot, I can't tell

Teisha smith
@teisha-smith
11 years ago
15 posts
Thanks and yeah I reckon I'll freak out but at least Ino it's ment to happen, and na I don't have a band on any may be a shadow lol thanks for the help ill put a pic up of my hair after I've washed it :))
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Teisha. I used the baking soda/acv for the entire first years of my T&R dreads, did not order the dreadlock shampoo until my 1st anniversary. The BS worked fantastic, in fact, the rest of my family uses it once a month on their straight hair. Just make sure you always use the ACV after BS, unless you have naturally very oily hair. I did not always use the ACV, and my hair was loosing its softness. The ACV is important, it balances the PH of the hair after using BS & is a safe conditioner.

As Baba Fats said, do not re-twist, let them do their thing now....just wash and separate any sections trying to join together.

A tip for you, dreads love lint, it is inevitable, so use a towel the same color as your hair so the towel lint is not noticable. White towels=White lint.

Enjoy your journey, Peace

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form