Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

baking soda question

k money
@k-money
11 years ago
114 posts

I was wondering if it would be OK to use a baking soda spray instead of a sea salt spray. I like how baking soda leaves my hair dry, but somewhat fluffy. where as sea salt leaves my hair dry and hard. Ive been using the dreadlocksshampoo bars on my hair and BS/acv wash every 3 weeks or so. I want to know if i could spray baking soda mixture in my hair about 10 minutes before i shower with the shampoo bar. any ideas?? would it work good like sea salt

updated by @k-money: 01/13/15 09:49:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

dont thin k it would do the same

but cant guess

might be worth a test but i dunno

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

NaHCO3, by some definitions, is a salt. But it won't work the same as your common table salt, or PinkHimalayansalt. Table salt, NaCl, ionizes completely. The Baking soda makes the water basic. It wouldn't hurt. But... While you can leave normal satl in your hair for up to 2 hours, leaving the BS spray on for 2 hours will completely fry your hair.

So like you said, if you only plan to leave it on for 10 minutes, it should be just fine. I don't think it'll do the same thing you expect normal salt to do, but it won't hurt

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Did you get all the wax out of your sections? If so, share with others how you did it so you can help them out.

You really don't want your hair texture too dry, it should still feel soft yet textured. Too dry hair takes longer to dread. Try and bend a dried out stick, now try to bend a soft stick. That soft stick will bend and the ends can meet, you want your hairs to bend and meet and join together. You want them to be able to knot easily for a quicker journey. As Baba Fats said, BS can fry your hair, it changes the PH balance. (Unless you have very oily hair, always use the ACV after BS washes, the ACV safely conditions dreads). So sorry, back to your question, if you really want to do a BS spray, no longer than 10 minutes before washing. Frying the hair is not instant, it will happen over time, so you may not notice you are doing it right away. Peace

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Hmm. I feel like that would make your scalp hellllla itchy. But hey, let us know how it goes!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form