Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How do I fix this dread?

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I had two dreads that joined at the ends of my hair and they are waaaayyy too far apart to join together. I tried pulling them apart but it hurts and it feels like it will completely fuck up my hair. How can I *gently* separate these two dreads?

updated by @niesje-sigrid: 02/03/18 11:27:32PM
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
11 years ago
91 posts

If it's the ends I wouldn't expect it to mess up your hair. When my stick together sometimes I just pull them apart without thinking about it. It's joining at the roots that you have to worry about. If it's at the tips then I wouldn't think it would affect the structure of the dread.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Wish you posted a pic to see exactly how it is joined. I would say to first off, do it when they are wet...use a little force to rip them apart...use a little conditioner in the joining area and work it in, then try to rip...if all else fails, then use a blade or scissors and slowly, gently cut the joining hairs away one at a time. After each little hair snip, try ripping them apart, just do little hairs at a time...it will eventually rip. Peace

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
11 years ago
122 posts
If the connected part is fairly new, sometimes it's easier to work the strands out of the knot one at a time than to rip all at once. Then it gets to where the rest will rip apart easier. I also grab the two connected dreads in between the connected part and my scalp when separating instead of the two ends. That way I can hold my hair still and not tug on my scalp while I separate. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't I can make a YouTube video explanation. :) if they are more maturely joined, the how-to barrellady mentioned using a blade or scissors will work. Only use one side of scissors to avoid any mistakes.
Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

Just use a raizor and just slice though abit and then pull abit, then use the raizor agin bit by bit as you tug them apart and if you feel they look ruffled up just do a wrap until the dreads recuperate.

I've done this quite abit and it works fine :)

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Let us know how your separating went and how you did it. Peace

Call Tucker
@call-tucker
11 years ago
27 posts

Barrellady is right about getting it wet. Hair rips MUCH easier when it is wet. That's why most people do their separating when they are in the shower.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hair is stronger and thicker when wet with water, so it can take more "punishment" or stress while trying to separate.

Call Tucker said:

Barrellady is right about getting it wet. Hair rips MUCH easier when it is wet. That's why most people do their separating when they are in the shower.

Diego F.
@diego-f
11 years ago
73 posts

sure. I can only separate with dry hair...

My dreads joined at the ends, at my sixth month of neglecting... i had trouble separating, i was not gentle and i broke lots of hair

the Barrellady said:

Hair is stronger and thicker when wet with water, so it can take more "punishment" or stress while trying to separate.

Call Tucker said:

Niesje Sigrid
@niesje-sigrid
11 years ago
56 posts

I usually do it in the shower, but somehow I missed this and it got pretty mature. I took a shower and picked at the connected part with a comb and it came apart. It looks kinda crazy and they stick out, but it didn't seem to do any real damage. Thanks for all the advice!

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form