Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

tight dreads

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

My dreads are almost 2 months, and already very very tight (when I had my previous sets of dreads, they were still extremely loose at 3 months). I use dreadlock shampoo, so im sure theres no build ups in them.

I've gotten some loops at the roots of my dreads, but im worried about the dreads beeing too tight to form any loops further down.. I really want alot of loops, I think its pretty and it makes them look more wild and healthy in my opinion.

Do you think im able to get more loops despite the tightness of the dreads? If not, is there anything I can do to make them looser so that loops can form?

I've never had dreads for more than 3 months, so i'm not experience at all on maturing.

updated by @steenvick: 01/13/15 09:49:42PM
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

As long as they're not unhealthily tight, they'll most likely loop. I think it depends on the individual, everyone's hair is different, so their dreads act differently. I didn't have any loops except tiny ones until quite a few months into the journey, but now I have quite a few big ones. Whereas other have HUGE loops all over the place lol. If they're too tight it might take a while for them to create any looping, but looping is part of dreading, so you'll definitely have some. Just how many and how noticeable no-one can predict.

Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

Thank you for the reply! My dreads are in perfectly healthy condition :) I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens ^^ More loops will come at the roots as they grow longer anyway, I guess :)

Tara C said:

As long as they're not unhealthily tight, they'll most likely loop. I think it depends on the individual, everyone's hair is different, so their dreads act differently. I didn't have any loops except tiny ones until quite a few months into the journey, but now I have quite a few big ones. Whereas other have HUGE loops all over the place lol. If they're too tight it might take a while for them to create any looping, but looping is part of dreading, so you'll definitely have some. Just how many and how noticeable no-one can predict.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

never crochetted?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Steenvick
@steenvick
11 years ago
35 posts

Never :) the only methods and maintainance i've done is twist and rip, washing, separating and palm rolling the ends alittle :)

soaring eagle said:

never crochetted?

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Sounds like you maybe twist & ripped too tightly. They may take quite a few months before the zig zag if done tightly. There is no need for you to palm roll the ends at all. All you have to do is wash & separate. You are only 3 months in, you got a way to go for all the action to happen. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Peace

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

At about 2 months in my twist & rip dreads felt firm, and I thought wow, that's happening fast. But I found out that I had a residue build up by using a shampoo bar that did not like my hard water. When I realized what it might be, I used an anti residue shampoo for a wash and all the build up came out, my sections were no longer firm/tight feeling. Hard water causes many shampoos and soaps to leave behind a residue in locks.

The more you wash, the looser the T&R will get, usually. Peace

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form