Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

3 1/2 months in...they've turned flat? :)

yogibear
@yogibear
11 years ago
2 posts

Hello all :) First I'd like to thank everyone for the wonderful advice on this website. I just joined today but I've been lurking since I began my dread journey, and have used recipes and advice from pretty much this website only..decided it was time to hop on officially! And because, I'm starting to have a few questions...

I'm about 3 1/2 months in with neglect, natural. Have loved every step of the way so far. Mostly my right side is locking up because there's less hair on the right than the left. Which is fine, I know the left will do its do when it wants to. Some of my dreads have matured pretty quickly and others are still feathery, which is also fine! But the ones that have matured the fastest have gotten very flat lately. I don't know it if's from sleeping or wearing my hair in a ponytail for work (I'm a waitress...gotta have the hair up and back) or if it's just part of the way they decided to form themselves. Some are sorta round at the top, then super flat at the bottom. I'm not too concerned, just wondering if I should try to help them? I use beads and wraps to keep them separated sometimes but I don't know how much that does to help their shape. I've had no new wraps for about a week. Decided to let them breathe. Also, should I even give thought to the shape? I know they get kinky, I've just let em' do their thing but I've noticed this lately and was just wondering. I also know I'll have them a long long time and it's early yet, and that they change a whooole lot before they're completely mature.

I'll try to post a picture or 2 but I'm new here and computers don't necessarily like me so we'll see how this goes...

THANK YOU beauties. <3

updated by @yogibear: 01/13/15 09:49:40PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

normal and super cute

they will mostly round out over time but some might not and it just gives them personality and charachter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Elle Gee
@elle-gee
11 years ago
14 posts
Awwww! That sounds so much like what went on during that period of my neglect dread journey.I think those flat ones are from sleeping on them. I can only fall asleep on my right side and I noticed that quite early on. I'm almost at 10 months now. Most of the flattened locs on my right side and towards the back ended up developing very rapidly after that. Just keep doing what you're doing and they'll come together soon enough!Make sure to keep then super clean and don't over separate. I just let mine be and pulled them apart only when I absolutely had to. Once they've formed and maturered a bit, then begin tugging on each dread in all directions to separate the hairs that you feel shouldn't be in there.Happy dreading!
Elle Gee
@elle-gee
11 years ago
14 posts
Oh yeah, I meant to let toy know that, in my own experiences, beads are wonderful for keeping those stobborn dreads under control. The bead should be tight enough to stay on the dread, but not too tight or it could start to mold/mildew/dry rot/whatever over time.
yogibear
@yogibear
11 years ago
2 posts

Thank you guys! Your comments are helping me accept the flatties more so :) Made me wonder if I sleep too much at first, haha :) looove and more love.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Yogibear. They are looking good. At 3 1/2 months in, you still have many changes ahead. At just over 1 year, my ends that are flat are starting to round out, loosing the paddle look. I just let mine be and they are slowly changing. No worries for ya, yours are doing great. ...Peace

Tiffany Davis
@tiffany-davis
11 years ago
6 posts

Mine were flat as discs during my 3-6-ish month period. Now they're hella round. Give 'em time, they'll be changing again soon anyway. : )

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form